The wall of Shame

This thread focuses on an undesirable side of Linux:
Bad Guides on the Internet.

Some have useless information, some have outdated information and some have dangerous information. There are even some that harvest information.

Please post sites, guides, threads, etc. you find that are a "Bad Guide" to help others users know which to avoid.

I will begin with: https://tutorialforlinux.com/

A generic beginning rather than a particular page... This site is pretty much useless in every way.

Fake Guide:

I left a comment warning users that this guide will break Zorin OS, not upgrade it and the Site Administrator deleted the comment.

11 Likes

I am glad you made my suggestion materialise :slight_smile:

I quickly glanced this site over and saw the left side pane has this entry:

Coronavirus Best Natural Remedies for Protection/Cure

It is a telltale sign of a clickbait scam.
Luckily I was not drinking coffee :coffee: so there was no danger posed for my monitor.

9 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Healthy Topic

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Healthy Topic

Wish I saw this one come up a couple weeks ago, I would have posted a few. I will keep this in mind on my journey and will report back with some as it is a guarantee I will find something...

1 Like

Never ever follow this tutorial.
It will break your Zorin installation :skull:

5 Likes

I posted a comment on this website explaining (politely) that the method will not work and why- the comment was removed by moderation.
This site would rather Break Users Zorin OS Installation than admit to having a poor Guide.

Absolutely 100% I add that Entire Website, not just the guide- To the Wall Of Shame.

I have zero doubt that the comments left claiming that the guide magically worked were Faked by the author.

5 Likes

I noticed they only have postings by people who said it worked.
I doubt it very much.

I wonder if you can add this site to you first posting so that it will have everything in one place.

4 Likes

I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH U! This Site is the only one I found out there that is Really Supporting the GNU/Linux Development for Beginners! It give U get easily Started with Everything... OS, Drivers, Printers. Simply the BEST TUTORIALS SITE ON GNU+LINUX! U're a Shame!

Welcome to this forum but your post is confusing. When you say the site is really supporting are you referring to THIS Zorin forum site or the site by LinuxStoney that is being discussed in this thread?

1 Like

never follow these tips in full !!!

This another example sadly that pushes you into the believe of modifying files, doing tweaks all over, and letting you believe that it is required to do so.
Many tips have simply NO USE at all, since development of Ubuntu is going very fast. And most tips are just plain stupid to implement them.

That is why, among the fact that the writer of this 'blog' is not accountable for any problems is his disclaimer, these 'tips' are a mix up of very poor reasoning behind the tips, and most tips or tweaks are simply outdated for more than 5 years from now (e.g. reducing the cache-pressure and claiming that Ubuntu, Zorin (Mint) will go much 'faster' (??????) is just STUPID to implement it without thinking). Since this Forum stands for reliability, this blog should never been taken seriously at all. It is a commercial blog and the author likes the profit from it ....

1 Like

tutorialforlinux.com is just the BEST WebSite for GNU/Linux Beginners! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I always checked one solutions on many websides. People could doing a mistakes.

While this is a problem for sure. Another issue is users needlessly editing files that probably should be left alone as well

1 Like

Customizable and open OS doesn't mean it has to be. Gotta find a way to squeeze every ounce of power out of that old computer though...

As I have mentioned before I am a big fan of using products as the developer intended. You just have less problems this way even if it means you might wait 0.25 seconds longer for something lol

1 Like