The Web Browser thread

Onion Control is addons in Firefox.
Tor browser bundle is Mozilla webbrowser.

A good strategy in regards of security and privacy is to have separation of concerns. For example use one browser for sites where you login to your social accounts, and another one for online shopping.

This is true for many other things, like having a dedicated prepaid card for online shopping, or using a separate email address for every site.

3 Likes

Someone heard about webbrowser FireDragon?
Whoogle Search interesting without many bloat.

2 Likes

I'm using the latest of Gnome Web Browser 'Epiphany'. It's light and fast and it follow the theming you are using without any glitches. I'm not sure that the latest of Epiphany is available on Zorin? But give it a try.

3 Likes

Storm how is the security of Eiphany do they track your info like some of the others ?????? ..... what is the platform that Eiphany is based on ????? ..... it's own or Chromium ????? ....

I'd like to look into it .... I'll check it on the web

Never mind I did my own research .... but I don't use flatpak .... thanks for showing an alternative browser to use ......

It uses the WebKit rendering engine (same as Apple uses for Safari), and it's also available on .deb package if you like though you might need to add it to the sources list:

https://packages.debian.org/bookworm/amd64/epiphany-browser/download

1 Like

Just realized I can't spell. Going to correct it.

1 Like

I was curious to see how well Epiphany does since last time I used it, and I downloaded it again and will try it for a few days. I'm currently running on Pop!_OS and the package manager already had the latest 42.4 version which is nice, considering the recommended way by Gnome is to use a flatpak.

Some things that immediately stand out after ~20 minutes of use:

• The UI is extremely clean and respects the system's theme.
  • Very few options on the settings menu with no apparent way to dive into advanced settings.
  • Ad blocker and "Inteligent Tracking Prevention" enabled by default, though unclear what they are actually doing on the background.
  • No extensions or plugins available.
  • No accelerated or smooth scrolling available.
  • Slight defects and irregularities rendering some web pages, particularly related to effects like gradients, transitions and animations.
  • Unable to load videos on YouTube, Invidious or Odysee. But I was able to load audio while using Invidious.

Some of these are good but mostly I'm not quite happy with the experience. I agree with some of the guidelines established by the project, such as aiming for simplicity and built-in functionality. In fact I recall there was a heavily modified Firefox theme that aimed at making it visually identical to Epiphany. A combination of both clean and lean aesthetics, with the ability to customize things further sure would be very welcome.

But I cannot understand why wouldn't I be able to customize a few things further, such as adding filter lists to extend the built-in ad blocker. I also hope they release the ability to use plugins soon. Even if existing ones are not compatible, it'd open the door to let the community contribute much like with things like Gnome Tweaks.

I also just noticed after posting this that font rendering is a little off. I'm not sure if this is clearly visible on the screenshot, but here's a side by side comparison between Epiphany (left) and Firefox (right):

2 Likes

Epiphany's poor font rendering is enough to remind me of my Windows nightmare.

If I recall correctly, Gnome based Epiphany Browser on Etch-a-Sketch.

2 Likes

Aww! Miss my Etch-a-Sketch! Have misplaced my Amiga mouse, so I can't access the Amiga software version, Retcha-Sketch!

1 Like

It's been a couple of weeks and I've used Epiphany regularly to see how it goes. My verdict: I don't like it as much as the main alternatives, but has potential to become a great option.

It's mostly little things that add up until the whole experience becomes a bit annoying, but nothing of any major importance. Except for the issue with loading videos, which wouldn't load on any site I've tried them; audio-only media worked most of the time but still had many issues with it.

Most websites render fine. There are a few that are very heavy on graphics or animations that render poorly, but it's only those contents that won't load.

Ads are also blocked for the most part although I would love to have more granular control or at least the ability to see what it's being filtered. And speaking of things that I wish were available, an option to clear cookies, history, etc when closing the browser window would also be nice. And if both history and privacy settings were present in the same menu, that would just be fantastic.

The main strength it has is the integration with the rest of the system in terms of UI, theme, etc. It's also very well designed in my opinion and looks modern and clean. Functionality wise it's lacking compared to the alternatives but it does what it promises which is browse the web.

1 Like

I prefer to use mozilla firefox (both Tor browser and librewolf or others based on mozilla firefox) and brave rather than chrome and opera.

1 Like

Anyone using that?
https://docs.searxng.org/admin/installation-searxng.html

I haven't installed my own but I do use some instances, sometimes Mojeek, sometimes SearXNG, and when those fail (Mojeek has its own index, so sometimes it doesn't find what I need, and SearXNG instances are sometimes down due to load), DuckDuckGo.

You can find some public SearXNG instances here: https://searx.space/

My ungoogled smartphone comes with searx engine but only works with duc duck go (Chromium Browser) as searx comes back with nothing when I search!

1 Like

Yes I saw some searching engine are not working very good on searx.

Long time Firefox fan here, although I have been using Vivaldi as main broswer for about a year now.
Changed for vertical tabs.
Started using Firefox again more for Youtube and some sites due to better specific add-ons more recently. I now have vertical tabs on it.
I had Brave on my phone for a few years and it has always been much more compatible than Firefox on a lot of sites, therefore I have it on my Linux PC's now too. Using Brave for slightly dodgier sites due to it's impecable ad-blocking without breaking sites.
I've added Librefox recently which has no add-ons for when something isn't working properly on other browsers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.