There is no windows program configured to open this type of file

This is what appears after attempting to open an exe file. The file starts working since I can hear the background music (its a game), but it wouldnt show the GUI. What can I do to fix this?

1 Like

I suppose you have Wine or similar, right? Then if you have it maybe right-click the .exe and click Open with... to ensure the emulator opens it.

For games i really suggest using lutris or steam. Wine as default is a pain, lutris you add the game exe file and use a runner to play the game. Watch the tutorial section for a good tutorial posted by me.

3 Likes

I agree I use steam and once you set up your account it is very easy to use their games plus they have a lot of free games that will work on Zorin (Linux) ..... I have 6 installed right now ..... never used wine or lutris ....

1 Like

If it is an old game, may not need Steam or Lutris to run. The key element, assuming WINE has been installed correctly is to right-click the .exe file and select Properties from the context menu, then on the interface that opens, select the 'Permissions' tab and check mark 'Allow to run as a program'. In previous iterations of Zorin I have been able to run titles such as Homeworld and Black Hawk Down. How I did it was as follows.

1. Look at the name under the CD icon in Computer.
  2. Create a folder with the same name in the fake C:/ partition in WINE.
  3. Copy the entire contents of the CD into the newly created folder.
  4. Select all the contents of the copied files and change permissions to run as a program.

The only additional step required is needed where a game requires the CD to be present to run for validation purposes, such as Homeworld does. This required using K3b iso burner to create a .bin file of the game CD and use this .bin file to launch Homeworld.
Also remember that not all games are compatible with WINE. You need to check what runs by using the commercial arm of WINE, CrossOver which helps pay the developers of WINE:

Compatibility | CrossOver Mac and Linux | CodeWeavers.

Lastly, be aware that WINE only works with 32-bit applications.

1 Like

Forgot I added stuff in a Tutorial thread:

and

1 Like

Tried that, didn't work

1 Like

Lutris updated their tool to support older games. I saw a new option called dgvoodoo2

I am wondering if that is specific for Voodoo Graphics cards though.

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/

dgVoodoo2 is a set of implementation of old graphics API's for Windows 7 and later versions

They are implemented on Direct3D 11/12 and they can use different device types as wrapping output:

• Hardware rendering at GPU feature level 12.0 (recommended but currently has some issues)
  • Hardware rendering at GPU feature level 11.0 (recommended)
  • Hardware rendering at GPU feature level 10.1 (has a minor limitation for D3D8/9)
  • Hardware rendering at GPU feature level 10.0 (there are some restrictions)
  • Software rendering through Microsoft WARP renderer

The following graphics API libraries are implemented:

• Glide 2.11, Glide 2.45, Glide 3.1 and Glide 3.1 Na palm
  • DirectX 1-7 (all versions of DirectDraw and Direct3D up to version 7)
  • Direct3D 8.1
  • Direct3D 9
1 Like

Cool!

1 Like

Really? Now I'm wondering if that has affected my attempts to install things in Wine. They should really make that clear, e.g. add that info to the help page. Windows App Support - Zorin Help

Have a look at this re 64bit app on WINE. Running 64 bit application - WineHQ Forums

1 Like

I am now going to have to see if I can get Affinity apps to install!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.