There r apps or tools that can list the installed (source code apps,packages) that i installed it?

sometimes I install apps(source code), and that apps need install and download other dependence packages,
so i download and install it. the problem that when i need to remove that apps because of failing in completing it's installing or no needing of it, the dependence packages still installed.
so my question , how i can list the installed packages and apps in my system?
I have searched about that , and i found they talking about history command line, it's good ,but i think it has limit list, i think he can't list all commands from the initial installing of zorin

When you install an application by compiling it or by moving source files to the proper locations, it becomes very difficult, currently, to track that application.
When you think about it, it makes sense: There is no fundamental difference between doing the above and writing a short story and moving a copy to your ~/Documents directory.
Or making new photo files and then moving them to your ~/Vacation directory.

What I do in such cases is when I go about compiling from source, I add it with file location paths to a Manual Installed list I created and keep in my Documents directory. Later, if I need to remove one, then I review that list and see what i installed and where those files are.

You can increase the length of your displayed or saved History in terminal.
You can append your ~/.bashrc

sudo nano ~/.bashrc

add the following parameter to the end:
export HISTFILESIZE=10000
Tap ctrl+x then the y key and then the enter key to save the configuration.
Now reload:

source ~/.bashrc

2 Likes

lf i give example on that: install hotcorner-plugin, I extracted it's folder and open terminal in it and do the compiling by ./configure and make ,make install.
to remove that app i do that in terminal in the same folder, sudo make uninstall, but i think that will not remove the dependencies even if i do apt-autoremove after that
Do u mean if I deleted that folder(which i do configure and make in it) the program will be removed with it's dependencies?

If the developer included an uninstall file, you can use the make uninstall command on these.
In the old days, you could use checkinstall though it is a security risk and has dropped out of favor.
Oh... nevermind... I just read the rest of your post: You knew that already...

If you use make install, the directory should include a list of what your software depends on.
If you only run sudo make install and it installs - that meant that you already had all dependencies satisfied. It does not operate as sudo apt install -y does that installs extra depends for you.
It won't install it if dependencies are missing.

So, you should know, right away, if you needed to go and get another dependency and install that separately before the make install command worked.
In those cases, I note that in the Manual Install file I mentioned above.

1 Like

do u mean creating text file and add in it the commands(or the dependnices that i installed for certain app) like that:
list of depindinces for hot-corner plugin:
sudo apt-get install -y libnotify-dev
sudo apt-get install build-essential libgtk-3-dev
sudo apt install xfce4-dev-tools libxfce4util-dev
sudo apt install xfce4-dev-tools libxfce4ui2-dev

1 Like

Yes. And since in your case, you installed the depends with apt, you can just remove with apt;

sudo apt remove --purge xfce4-dev-tools libxfce4util-dev xfce4-dev-tools libxfce4ui2-dev libnotify-dev libgtk-3-dev && sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoremove

You want to keep build-essential...
But in either case, I wouldn't bother with the above. They are small and take up little space. But very useful to keep for future projects.

1 Like

i agree with u, there r a lot of apps which i have installed with that way(compiling way) required them, so i will keep them.

if i installed it by source code compiling , to removing them, i must do as above (sudo make uninstall in their directory), or i can instead of that remove them by synaptic?

Synaptic is essentially a GUI frontend for running Aptitude in the terminal.
So, no... Synaptic won't see or remove a Make Install.

1 Like

Thank u very much

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.