ThinkPad P16s screen randomly black

Hello Everyone. I hope I am right here. I just installed ZorinOS. Everything has been great so far, but at random times the screen goes black for a second and then continues like nothing happend. Sometimes the screen goes black and doesn't turn on again. The P16s has only integrated graphics, so I don't think this is an issue between switching GPU's like in some other topics. Does anyone know about this problem? Also if possible try to keep it simple since I just switched to Linux a month ago.

EDIT: after further testing I realized that the problem occurs more often when playing a youtube video. while a yt video is playing, this is happening not once in like 5 minutes. It's happening like every 5 seconds.

Hi, and welcome!

Have you noticed this happening when running certain programs or does it happen after sleep and resume, etc? I'm not very knowledgeable with hardware but it looks like this model is relatively recent so it may have some unresolved issues, I know that Lenovo hasn't been playing very nicely with Linux lately.

Please launch a terminal from the applications menu and run sudo lshw -C video, and share the output here.

Yes I know that this model is relatively recent, but didn't have any issues in other distros I tested. Also the black screen is completely random. Sometimes while opening programs, writing something or just doing nothing.
The command output is:

*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:64:00.0
logical name: /dev/fb0
version: dd
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm pciexpress msi msix vga_controller bus_master cap_list fb
configuration: depth=32 driver=amdgpu latency=0 mode=1920x1200 resolution=1920,1200 visual=truecolor xres=1920 yres=1200
resources: iomemory:1c0-1bf irq:44 memory:1c00000000-1c0fffffff memory:78000000-781fffff ioport:1000(size=256) memory:78500000-7857ffff

Which kernel are you on?

uname -r

Which version of Zorin OS did you install? 16 or 17?

the kernel is 6.5.0-14 generic. I did install Zorin OS 17. Also I read here on the forum that Zorin has problems with the radeon 780m gpu. Maybe the problem is here. Also should I use the amdgpu drivers, as it is defaulting to llvm driver for display output.

Yes, this shows a definite GPU driver issue.

so well i did try it out with the amdgpu driver now and I still got the same problems.

Have you checked if you are still defaulting to the fallback llvmpipe?

yes i checked that it is using the amdgpu driver. I did an manual install of the driver as I could not switch to the amdgpu driver.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.