Today Zorin OS disappointed me

I'm not taking any frustration on you, And please read that note which I mentioned in the end.

I'm not mocking or taking out any frustration. My point is that God Forbid if someone get's into the situation which I have been so, the other person can be alerted beforehand, so he/she makes the arrangements beforehand and be ready. That was my point to post it.

Contradiction..

@DeanG was not mocking you..He gave his opinion and he is right.
It isn't the fault of Zorin OS.
It is the fault of the office suites that you used.
When I switched to Linux, I did a fair deal of research and made sure that if anyone in my family had to use my computer, they would feel comfortable with it.

2 Likes

I tried with OpenOffice as well but, that didn't worked also.

We do not condone the use or promotion of cracked or pirated software on this forum.

4 Likes

Nor, I'm trying to promote the use of cracked software

This makes sense. I think it is valid to consider that most won't deal with it during a power failure and with a frustrated parent.:wink:

I almost commented on this above. It's... tricky.
Currently, the Chinese Government is committing acts of Genocide. This is happening now.
This, however, should never be assigned as a racial trait: Most nations throughout history have committed terrible acts and atrocities. The domination of South Africa. The aborigines of Australia. The great many oppression performed by the United States.
If nothing else, it demonstrates that race has no bearing on the commonalities of human nature... the Bad and the Good, too.
Most often, such governments are highly unpopular among their own citizens.
As "simple minds like simple answers," we must remain diligant to accept the complexity of human behavior and never assign human traits to only one race. It is a pervasive but clear fallacy.

While nations and governments can be hurtful - and we can recognize this... - We as People Can Choose To Do better and treat each other fairly and with compassion... even if the elites of some governments choose not to.

We are not political entities here.

@MysteriousVampire
You may not intend to take frustration out on others but as an Outside Observer... I can assure you that you are. It's normal. You're frustrated... something did not work right during an emergency and it resulted in your mom losing some faith in your decisions, the loss of your notebook and the loss of you preferred Distro.
You demonstrate already your second thinking- please continue to use it to remain fair and balanced. I did not read a mocking tone in @DeanG 's post.

Zorin OS is not what disappointed you. We know the many things that did disappoint you.

If this thread goes down the rabbit hole too far, it will have to be closed.

2 Likes

I'll completely admit, that back when I was on Windows, and even using Windows back when I was a kid on the school computer's, (We also used MAC's as well) I really enjoyed Microsoft Office. It was rare that those APPS suite's would bug out on us, usually we ran into printer related problems more then we did the software suites lol.

And for the record, those printer problems were usually due to, too many students printing to the same printer all at once, and the printer not having enough memory to handle the load, which is why we had to get two more printers for the computer lab, to spread the work load lol.

I didn't mind paying for software that really worked well though. Yes, Microsoft software is expensive, I won't deny that, but at least it worked well. And I used Microsoft Word more often then the other's. So, what do you do when you switch to Linux? Well, you do what Emperor was saying.

You do your research, you learn what APPS are available to you, as a replacement for Microsoft Office. There is Lebri-Office, there is WPS Office, there is Open Office, there is many of them. Ideally, your going to find the one that works best for you, and once you do that, then you pay for the full featured version.

This way you get all unlocked feature sets, to allow you to be the most productive possible, and to get developer support as well. I know being on Linux isn't easy, God knows I have run into my own troubles with Linux, and even Zorin OS itself.

But at the end of the day, I rather not be a slave to the Microsoft devil, to use me as their product to make money off of, and invade my everyday privacy. Linux gives the choice back to you, and Linux provides you freedom, and security.

Anyways, thats my two cents.

2 Likes

Why do you always spell it wrong? It makes me mad because the 'Libri'or 'Lebri' sounds very annoying. :persevere:

To be honest, Linux has a lot of strange names for its APPS that make no sense. You get on me for misspelling a word that doesn't even make any sense. And take GIMP for example, did you know thats a derogatory term for someone who walks funny? I remember when I first came to Linux, it took me a long time to just remember some of these names of these APPS.

And, furthermore, even after being on Linux for as long as I have been, I sometimes forget the names of APPS, like I forgot Gparted for awhile, couldn't think of the name of that dang APP until someone mentioned it recently. Its a plain and simple fact that Linux uses very oddly worded APPS that make absolutely no sense.

Keep in mind, we have new beginners every single day coming to Linux, and I can tell you right now, they are having equal troubles. I hope you don't get on every person and their mother about the spelling of the APP names too buddy. Remember, this don't come easy for everyone.

1 Like

Umm... that is not quite... what it means... But I offer no education on that here... :stuck_out_tongue:

At risk of starting something in an already heated thread...
StarTreker
I think pretty much every human being on the planet Earth will agree:
You are the worst at spelling.
Anything.
Not just Linux app names.

Well, I completely give up, my ADD can't take it anymore. And its impossible to make everybody happy, cause some people just don't wanna be.

1 Like

Some unfairly place fault where it does not lie... Others do not accept the faults where they lie.

1 Like

Better not to go off-topic and start another fight. No one meant to hurt anyone's sentiments.

PS: Translation Libre = Free.
They just don't name it "Free Office".

Totally understand where you're coming from bud.

While I never have this issue anymore as I only use google docs, I've used to be really annoyed with this a couple of years back.

Office software is not really compatible between Windows and Linux at the moment. A good workaround though is either running a virtual machine or if you're using 365 office, you can modify Microsoft office files from there.

Unfortunately, there's no way to run MSOffice on Linux directly atm (regardless of what anyone else say), unless Microsoft decides to port it over. - except for the web based one

1 Like

LibreOffice Calc has disappointed me in the past and especially Calc to open large spreadsheets and by large I mean large. It might have something to do with the amount of RAM on my laptop ( 4GB ). However I have managed to work with those files with Pandas. Maybe it has a graphical interface but haven't tried it.

Whilst I am sorry for the fact that you've been struggling so much with this, I don't think this is to be accounted to ZorinOS itself, but rather the widespread use of Microsoft's office suite as a Professional Office Suite

This is not your, nor Zorin's fault.

I also wouldn't call this "Basic office work" either, due to the sheer size that document must've had.
LibreOffice has a limit of I think it was something around 5000 or so columns and rows, which would be enough for "Basic office work" for most people

Maybe you can use community made installers, or Crossover, to get newer versions of MSOffice working under Zorin, or use the web versions to do those changes.

I would also advise talking to your mother about the use of YOUR electronics, I don't see it as a good thing that your Mother restricts you from using the device the way that you want to use it for reasons which aren't really something I would personally defend.

Whilst I can understand that your mother might have been mad at the fact that things didn't work out, I simply do not see it to be okay as to take (presumably) somebody else's property and just change things about it without the owner's permission/consent.

Whilst I am not trying to say something along the lines of "Rebel against your Mother", I would again, advise talking to her about the situation so that you can agree on a compromise so that this doesn't happen in the future. Make sure to personally inform her of possible solutions and workarounds to prevent this going forth as well.

Here is a little list of things that you can go through if you decide to talk to her about this, to make this easier to find later:

• "we could use the Web version of Office365 next time."
  • "we could set up an emergency Windows installation to prevent this from happening next time" (a secondary Windows partition)
  • "I could set up Microsoft Office (2016) under Zorin OS so that this works out better next time"
  • "we could make sure we have another device to do this on with the tools you need in case this happens again"

these are just a couple of suggestions I thought of to assist you in getting this resolved, and this is not professional advice. ← Please don't take it as such.

5 Likes

Sir, thanks for showing your concerns about my situation and I'm personally very touched with it. My motive isn't to hold ZorinOS accountable of what happened with me, It's just that I was using ZorinOS at that time so, I mentioned ZorinOS in my post, If I would've been using Manjaro or Fedora then I would've used their names in my post in their respective Forums. I totally respect ZorinOS and it's sweet and helpful community who never-ever leave users without support and always there ready to help, I personally feel ZorinOS is the best OS for new beginners who want to leave Evil Microsoft and it's data collection policies. I really admire ZorinOS for connecting me to the Linux World.

Sir, it would be an humble request that you kindly guide me how to install Microsoft Office 2016 in ZorinOS without any problems and without affecting the stability of OS. I tried to install Microsoft Office 2003 via Wine but that didn't worked well, and when I tried to uninstall it's not properly uninstalled and I get a option to open files in MS Office 2003 even when I uninstalled it, but that never opens. So, a detailed guide would be really helpful for a beginner user like me.
And me & Mom have sorted things out and I'm again back on ZorinOS, but I'm really glad to see you concerned.

Thank you very much,
Have a great day ahead.

4 Likes

The easiest way would be installing WIndows in VM and run Office 2016 in it.
I use Orcale Virtual to run different Linux environments, but it can also run Windows if needed.

1 Like

Thanks for telling Sir, will surely try to do that.