Today's (Aug 18 2021) update wiped my WIFI dongle's files

I accepted the update sent out today and rebooted when asked. When my computer came back up I had no internet. I'm using a dongle from CUDY.com model RTL88x2BU My OS couldn't see it nor use it. I had to go find the original files I downloaded and recompile and install. Today's update really messed me up. I saw no way to send a report to the engineers at Zorin which is a bad omission. Very bad.

If your wifi adapter initially required a dkms build to get it working, an update can cause the need to redo the dkms build - which is something I warn users of on the forum often when they use that method.
This is noted here (The instructions within should help you get up and running again):

1 Like

Thank you much for your reply and info! , Considering that there is no other method available from the manufacturer to use this dongle this bug in updates wiping out wifi is a killer for replacing PCs on my n/w with Zorin. Sad indeed. I am glad you are warning people but as this OS is aimed at newbies the warning and solution should come before the updates do this. And from the "manufacturer".

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

The problem is that the manufacturer does not respect open source. The end result is Linux Techs working on the kernel must backwards write the code for the drivers.
The linux Kernel guys are usually quite good at getting the Realtek drivers sorted out. But nothing is ever perfect- so the dkms builds act as a "patch" if you will.

What many users do is save the following in their documents as a Realtek-install.txt to reference:

git clone "GitHub - RinCat/RTL88x2BU-Linux-Driver: Realtek RTL88x2BU WiFi USB Driver for Linux" /usr/src/rtl88x2bu-git

sed -i 's/PACKAGE_VERSION="@PKGVER@"/PACKAGE_VERSION="git"/g' /usr/src/rtl88x2bu-git/dkms.conf

dkms add -m rtl88x2bu -v git

dkms autoinstall

Thanks. I have saved the instructions and package in a folder to quickly redo if an update kills it. Unfortunately linux pointing the finger at H/W manufacturers won't solve this critical business problem that hinders desktop acceptance so another direction needs to be explored for solutions.

Well, if the Developer will not share the needed information on the drivers... I'm not sure what other direction there could be.

Impressive,
How does "/g" of your, stream-edit,
help validate dkms --version?

/g/ is for Global Placement.

1 Like

This: Linus Torvalds on why desktop Linux sucks - YouTube Sorry won't be ready for prime time until Linux solves it's own problems

By all means - you have every bit the choice at your disposal.

I could as easily post a youtube of Steve Jobs lamenting problems within Apple or Bill Gates lamenting the things wrong with Windows.
Coding and evelopment is not a one entity or a one person job. Linux and Mac, for example both use Unix-like systems. Does this mean that Mac or Linux is obligated to solve ALL possible problems within Unix-like systems? Who is responsible for doing so? If it is Mac, does this mean Linux should never use Unix-Like coding then?

If you do not want to use Linux:
Don't.
No one is forcing you.
You can use Mac. And go on their forums complaining that Mac is not ready for Prime Time.
Or you can use Windows. And join their forums and complain that Windows is not ready for Prime Time.