Top bar present in mac os and ubuntu

What is the advantage of this?
When I installed ubuntu I changed to zorin because I didn't like this. This bar reduces the screen usage area and makes it difficult to press the close button.
I feel that it would be more advantageous to unify it with the bottom bar like zorin and windows, but if you know why, I would appreciate it if you could tell me.
And why does ubuntu have the bar on the left?
Thank you in advance.
th-92935362

It's a UX design choice, some users like it, some don't. I personally don't, I also personally hate Ubuntu's side panel and app launcher ~ you can remove it and combine everything on the bottom if you want, or stick with a distro like Zorin with a pre-made UX you like.

2 Likes

I personally do not use a top bar. As @seanhinkley said; it's just a matter of personal preference and how a person manages their own workflow.
But you asked what the advantage is... I think it is fair to address that.
I agree with you that it makes it a little harder to navigate to the close button, since it takes more aim and greater care. Otherwise, you might click something on the top bar that you did not intend.
But as far as screen real estate... it's pretty minimal.
In your screenshot, the bottom panel takes a significantly larger chunk out of the screen.
I think we can delegate the screen real estate issue to personal preference, not an actual issue about screen sizing.
It's funny how T.V. makers will market the idea of Bigger and Bigger screens... yet the same people that buy into that hype spend so much time watching YouTube on their phone.
Without ever noticing the contradiction.

The advantages of a top bar deal with being organized, having efficient and fast workflow and navigation.
A top bar frees up the panel, allowing the panel to be a launcher. The Top bar can then be a Toolbox, instead of a launcher.
The reason uses pin most-used apps to a panel is so that they can launch them without navigating through several menus.
The top bar provides a similar function for most-used tools, features, scripts, menus...
If you own two pairs of shoes: Work Boots and dress shoes... a wardrobe shoe rack wouldn't seem useful to you.
But it is a big advantage to a person that has many shoes. Not just vanity, picture a professional dancer.

What I like about Zorin OS, Linux and the variety of desktop environments is the control I have over whether there is a panel - anywhere on the screen.
On Zorin OS Lite (XFCE) I can have multiple panels, anywhere I want them. I have even re-purposed panels into small square desktop widgets that provide a Head Up Display, rather than acting as a panel.
That fast and easy versatility is far better than being locked into someone else's design.

Why does Ubuntu have a panel on the left - MXLinux does this too...
To be different.
To look different.
I prefer a bottom panel merely because it is the Long Side of the monitor, allowing more space to shove in launchers.

3 Likes

In regard to MX-Linux xfce it is true that in live mode the panel is on the left but once unkocked it can be moved anywhere. For new users of MX-Linux they like me, will be bemused that instead of the menu button being on the left after moving to the bottom, everything is reversed which means editing the panel. To add to the confusion, icons on the panel are not all readily named, other than with launcher and no identifiable icon, and to move the menu button to the left requires moving it upwards in the panel editing interface. (This is why KDE and Cinnamon have better panel editing than xfce). That said once you have sorted out the live desktop as you want you get the option to keep that layout during install, not present on other GNU/Linux distros. MX-Linux now has KDE which is even better but not for low spec older machines. My personal preferences have changed in that whilst I prefer the panel at the bottom, I prefer a tiled menu option:

2 Likes

I think with Ubuntu, there was an effort to keep the Unity styling when they went back to the Gnome desktop. Mac needs a support structure for the global menu which is available on some Linux desktop environments. I have vertical global menu in my Ubuntu Budgie and Solus Plasma desktops. Currently using a top panel and hidden dock on Zorin Gnome. Global menu development as a gnome extension has been a challenge so far.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.