Touchpad not working on hp pavillion 17

Hi, so i just installed Zorin OS on my hp pavillion 17 laptop on dual boot and it works just fine, however my touchpad just won't work it won't click nor move which was weird since it worked just fine when i was installing zorin with my flash drive.
After snooping around a little i realized that it doesn't even appear when i type "xinput list" on the terminal
i have tried some fixes i saw online but none of them worked.

Have you tried

sudo apt install -y xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Hi

Has anyone had any luck with this?

It seems that hp laptops are 'c**p' but I am stuck with one at the moment, mine is a hp pavillion gaming laptop 15, wanted to get away from windows so am converting my 3 comps to linux.

Have an old toshiba laptop that is all working well with pop os (it was the first one recommended by someone) but really like the look of zorin.

My situation is very similar to the author of this post, everything works fine on the livecd version but after install to hp touchpad will not work at all, using wireless mouse at present but would like to use the touchpad.

Tried the above suggestion 'sudo apt install -y xserver-xorg-input-synaptics' but still no go, its not listed in 'xinput --list' but on livecd its listed as 'ELAN0718:00'.

Read some where that the kernal maybe the issue so checked as::
installed ver: 5.11.0-41
livecd ver: 5.11.0-38
not sure if I have updated that installed ver as I have tried several recommendations.

I have only been with linux for a few weeks so very new to all this, but if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.