Touchpad randomly freezes part 2

Hi,

This topic has been closed without the issue being resolved Touchpad randomly freezes.

I have the same problem on my ROG Zephyrus G15 running 17 pro. Like in OP, USB mouse works fine but I have additional information.

The laptop has an NVIDIA RTX 3060 GPU. Before moving to Zorin I was using Mint 21 which had the same issue but went away when you switch to cpu rendered cinnamon.

I've never gotten to the bottom of this in Mint but since it's happening on Zorin, I want to fix this once and for all.

I would be grateful for any help given.

Thank you.

Does this occur mid-use or only after wake from sleep/suspend (opening lid)?
Have you tried any fixes regarding psmouse or input-synaptics / libinput?

Happens mid use and even from a fresh boot. I remember working through a bunch of stuff on Mint, non of which worked. What fixed it was selecting Cinnamon Software rendering at login and session start.

Would you be able to point me towards any psmouse / input-synaptics / libinput discussions that might shed some light on this matter?

Thanks.

PS Mouse - this may result in some features not working as it will treat the touchpad as a mouse.

sudo rmmod psmouse

sudo modprobe psmouse

Input synaptics:

sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics && sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt update && sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

OR Libinput:

sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-libinput && sudo apt autoremove

sudo apt update && sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-libinput

1 Like

Thanks. Will update once I've tried the suggestions. Much appreciated.

Ok! I'm beginning to suspect this could be a case of PEBKAC :man_facepalming:. After having carried out your suggestion above, I've noticed that I tend to 2 finger the touchpad while moving between windows. The expected behaviour here is to stop and attempt to scroll content, which between windows is nothing, so perceived experience is a pointer freeze. I haven't come across pointer freeze during single finger movements, so far!

Anyway xinput list-props 13 showed that the userspace driver was libinput. And I've uninstalled and reinstalled as suggested above. I've yet to experience pointer freeze. Coincidentally an Nvidia firmware 535 driver was removed by autoremove but I can't confirm if this was outdated redundant package as I'm constantly applying updates!

Thank you so much for all your help:)

1 Like

I am currently on the Nvidia 550 driver. If you have been on top of your upgrades, you would likely be on 545 or maybe 550.
The 535 would have been automatically installed if removed by autoremove.

You can check using Software & Updates > Additional drivers to see which driver you are on.

Two possibles to narrow down. Good observation skills.

1 Like

I am currently on the Nvidia 550 driver. If you have been on top of your upgrades, you would likely be on 545 or maybe 550.
The 535 would have been automatically installed if removed by autoremove .

Nope this is just me! Had issues with Street Fighter 6 on Flatpak Steam with 545 so rolled it back to 535. Have not tried 550 yet! Maybe when I feel brave I'll try it:) Have a bout a 70 games on the laptop, need to set aside time to regression test all of the games.

1 Like