Transferring Info From Phone To My Computer

In the past I have always used a data/charging cable for transferring data from my cell phones to my computer ..... but my new phone says to just use your charging cable which is a USB with a type C port ....

I finally got KDE Connect to pair with my cell phone and the contents of the phone show up on my computer .... BUT ..... I can't seem to transfer any of the info ... either photos or folders ..... to the computer or to this board ...... the little icon shows up showing I have the item while I am dragging the item to the place I want it but as soon as i let my finger off the item to place it there nothing happens ..... same thing when I copy and paste .....

Is it possible I still need a date cable after all .... when plugging in the charging cable that came with the phone I get the usual choices to transfer photos ..... folders or to charge ..... I tried both folders and photos but can't seem to move them from the phone to my computer ......

Have you set the access permissions in Connect App?

1 Like

Not really sure as all I did before with the old phone was hook up the cable from the phone .... using KDE Connect .... to the computer and an icon came up on my computer screen .... I just clicked on that and oped up what ever I wanted and could transfer it to my computer .....

Not really sure what that is ?????

It varies by phone - but you must allow permission for Connect app to access the phone files. This is set to OFF by default.

1 Like

OK thanks let me read up on that and I'll get back to you .....

What is my hosts name ..... I tried the IP address which they gave as 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and that didn't work it still says "Available Devices" No Device ..... in both my phone and in KDE Connect .....

Try restarting the devices. I have had that happen to me and after restart, then they could see each other.

Also- if you have UFW enabled, you need to allow firewall access too (It is in the article linked above)

1 Like

I never enabled UFW ..... oh by the way that IP address I gave is the one they recommend in the like you sent me above .... it isn't mine

Restarting didn't help .... let me read some more .... I'll be back ..... what is host name ....

You need to use your own I.P. address. In terminal you can use ip a or ip addr show

1 Like

Well I found 3 possible IP.s in that terminal command plus I used the one currently being used by NordVPN which unfortunately will be changed the next time I restart or shut down .....

I now have 5 possible IP addresses for my cell phone and it connected to my computer ....... BUT ..... KDE Connect shows "no device available" and I can't transfer any pictures to my computer .... so I guess it now has to be something to do with KDE ..... I'll read some more ....

Interesting thing is that when connecting my phone reads charging ..... but the device shows up on the computer ..... if I choose either Files or Photos it disconnects from the computer and I have to go back and reset it to charging ......

Just a note:

I just tried to install Zorin Connect but a message came up that it wasn't comparable with this desktop ..... which is Cinnamon ..... :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Gotta leave for a little bit

Sometimes, only a supported data cable will work. Many charging cables have Two wires - for charging only. Some have three or four - allowing for data transmission. Switching to a supported data cable can solve the issue.

Zorin Connect is based on GSConnect which as the name implies, is a GnomeShell extension.

If none of the above, perhaps you can give Syncthing a try.

As the name implies this is for synchronizing files between devices, not just file sharing so it's a bit more advanced albeit quite easy to setup. I like it because you can have multiple devices kept in sync easily, as opposed to sending files from one device to multiple which is more work to do. I use it for example to share ebooks that I download from my computer with my phone and tablet at the same time. This way I can read the same book on the go or at home, without having to send the file individually to each device.

If you do try it, bear in mind what I said about synchronization and not file sharing. For example, you may sync some files from your phone to your desktop computer and then, thinking those files are now safely copied, you delete them from your phone. In fact, Syncthing would then delete those files from the computer as well thus keeping files in both devices synchronized.
To prevent this, what I normally do is shut Syncthing off when I'm done sending files over devices. There are methods built-in right into the tool to recover files on these type of scenarios, but I like to keep things simple.

1 Like

cat /etc/hostname

1 Like

Thanks for that ..... I thought as much but when I put that in it changed nothing so I thought I might have been wrong ....

Thanks zenzen ..... I'll certainly look into that method .... I had a program which I think was similar to the one you use ..... I believe it was called Wondershare ... or something like that .....

More on my experience using KDE Connect a bit latter as I'm eating breakfast right now ..... :pancakes:

1 Like

Well happy days ..... problem is solved ..... what was throwing me off was the WiFi connection .... I knew with all my other phones when I hooked them up using a data cable I didn't need my WiFi to be turned on as I never leave my WiFi on when using my phones ....

So just to be sure I hooked up my old cell with it's data cable and it connected putting an icon on my desktop and a message "Can not connect" .... but it does regardless of that message you just have to search in the Home Screen left sidebar and there it is ....

Tried the new phone with it's new data cable and ..... WALA ..... exact same thing ....

Is it supposed to work ???? ... I have no idea but it always has in the past even when using a phone to PC program when I was using Win 10 ....

A big thank you to all you kind folks who gave your advise and help .... I am now a happy camper once again ....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.