Tried Fedora 38, staying with Zorin

They finally fixed the app store so thought about switching. Stock Gnome is sorta cool with its simplicity, but kinda ugly with its black backgrounds and chunky dock. But Blur My Shell and Dash to Dock fix those pretty well.

The desktop is always zooming in and out so only graphic wallpapers look good, which is all they provide as stock. That's what finally turned me off. It's nice having scenic wallpapers that don't move.

And I much prefer scrolling thru workspaces vertically with the Workspace Indicator extension.

2 Likes

My list for Fedora 38 extensions is:
Blur My Shell
Dash to Dock
Lock Keys
Replace Activities Label
Rounded Window Corner
Transparent Window Moving
Tray Icons: Reloaded

Then I'm happy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Does your install respect dark mode? When I tried it in a VM or thumb-drive, Pinta and Sweet Home 3D did not switch.

Everything is much newer, of course. Tho that means lots of extensions won't work without a hack.

1 Like

Pinta and Sweet Home 3D is properly still GTK3 or QT engines which why they aren't affected by dark mode. However libAdwaita has been ported to GTK3 and can be dwonloaded via flatpak.

Found the extensions I use already ported to 44.

1 Like

I have never cared much for Fedora myself. It takes something like Nobara to make it decent (imo)

Less stability and less access to software than Ubuntu/Debian. The few minor features you get in return just are not worth it.

1 Like

The zooming might drive me nuts. You can see why they use graphic wallpapers and not scenic ones.

Edit:

Back on Zorin after 24 hrs. Kinda got tired of all the bonking and zooming and having stuff at the top of the screen. With my old PCs, it doesn't matter that the kernel and version of Gnome are old.

1 Like

Not that I am trying to sway you from Zorin but if you have any particular reason to want Fedora I would give Nobara a shot.

Personally I have always had a lot more issues with Fedora distros (and worse software support) so I tend to stick to Ubuntu LTS releases. So if you don’t have a specific reason I would just stick with Zorin but if there is anything in particular about Fedora you need/want I really recommend Nobara. Has a Zorinish UI and fixes a lot of Fedora’s rough edges.

I think your problem is more with GNOME than with Fedora. Fedora ships an almost vanilla version of the GNOME desktop, and that kind of zooming in/out is how actually stock GNOME works. If you don't like how GNOME behaves you may be interested in different DEs, like Budgie or Cinnmon. I personally like GNOME and how it behaves in general. I usually install a couple of extensions to polish it and make it behave the way I like, but my customisations still retain 95% of GNOME stock behaviour. This has nothing to do with my distro choices. I'm daily driving Arch, but I install Zorin to my relatives PC because I think it's a polished and ready to go distro, with virtually no learning curve for non technical users. Fedora isn't crafted with new linux users in mind. It's a cutting edge developer distro, aimed at technical users that want the latest and greatest and that already know how to use linux. So it's a very different distro from Zorin. I wouldn't compare them because they are both great with their respective target audience.

1 Like

I tried Fedora spin Cinnamon. It gived bunch problems with gome xdg-desktop.
It is fast and stable but propably workstation. Originally, working without problems i mean. Tested only on Cinnamon. Support forum is huge. Finding problem with grub taken me a half day to research on internet, what exactly was problem. Of course fixed. Fedora propably for advance users.

One of Fedora's big problems is it only has free drivers by default. Nobara and Ultramarine are better options for most.

Ultramarine 38 (based on Fedora 38) came out just a couple of days ago

Nobara 38 has not came out yet. Still being worked on

But this is why I prefer distros based on Ubuntu, their tendency to just work is unequaled.

1 Like

That why i sayed i want check all families linux to get better visual open eyes. Youtubers mostly sayed all version linux are wonderfull. I know also good product don't need advertising. People when found good product. Staying with him.

1 Like

Every major Linux distro is good. Fedora is a great system, no doubt about it but the things it does well (basically being a well tested but very up to date system) are things that do not matter much to me personally. I want my system to work 100% of the time and not have to worry about major upgrades every 6 months. (Such as moving from Gnome 43 to 44 and breaking an extension I need etc.)

Well. When I reading all this things you talking true.
Fedora is great system with a good security.
The most problem what it have with Desktop Enviroment about xdg and polkit.
Example on Fedora spin Cinnamon, when i restart PC i get a black screen.
I reading many desktop distributions have that problem.
I am really respectfull to brothers Zorin the Desktop Enviroment GNOME is stable. Don't get any issue and problems. Why?
Why some devs can creating some smoothly desktop without problems?
I think Debian 12 Bookworm RC2 has the same issue as Fedora 38.
I do notice that Gnome does not have this issue.
Here is prove the xdg not working with gnome.

I will kicked Fedora38
The problem is software what i using gived me problems and closed them when i working on them without my permission.
I am annoying to get all time some problems.
A Linux distribution cannot be equated to another distribution.
I will explain it on the basis of audiophilism. Headphones made and produced for classical music will not work well with techno or metal music. Similarly, dynamic and planar drivers are in a different technology. Planar hair is 2 microns thin, which is 1/10 the thickness of a human hair. This is technology. which gives a better sound. Better sound is like a better polished desktop.

If Fedora spins such as Cinnamon spins cause problems with xdg-desktop and polkit, it may indicate incompatibility or bugs in these environments. Different distribution variants may have different levels of support and stability for different desktop environments.

In that case, if you are experiencing issues with a particular spin, it may be worth considering other distros that offer default support for the desktop environment of your choice. For example, if Cinnamon is your preference, you might consider the Linux Mint distro which is based on Ubuntu and has Cinnamon support by default. Linux Mint is known for its stability and is a well-polished desktop system.

For other desktop environments such as KDE Plasma or Xfce, you can also consider other Linux distributions that offer dedicated versions with these environments, such as Kubuntu for KDE Plasma or Xubuntu for Xfce. These distributions are designed to provide better support and optimal integration with your chosen desktop environment.

It's also worth remembering that problems with xdg-desktop and polkit can sometimes be due to specific system configurations or conflicts with other installed packages. In these cases, the solution may be to report the problem to the developers of the desktop environment or to file a bug in the distro community for help in resolving the problem.

In conclusion, if you are having issues with the Cinnamon spin on Fedora related to xdg-desktop and polkit, you may want to consider other Linux distributions that have dedicated support for your desktop of choice, or report the issue to the developers for help in resolving the issue.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.