Tried Pop! OS but like Zorin better

I was recently given a desktop PC and decided since everything on it needed to be wiped that I would try Pop! OS and see what it was like. I don't know enough about DEs to be able to judge them very well but I do know what works for me and what doesn't.
I may not have set everything up right for POP! Os but the DE just seemed really awkward. To open a program I had to click on activities at the top left then select a drop down window on the left and then that opened the program icons so I could then open the program I wanted to open. And if I wanted to open a second program it seemed I was supposed to actually open another page. All this didn't seem very helpful to me.

I use Zorin for writing Sunday School lessons among other things. I have my task bar at the bottom set up with the shortcuts to all the programs I use regularly. I can open my Bible program and LibreOffice and my browser all on the same page with one just in front of the rest. When I want to switch pages I just click on the shortcut on the task bar and that window immediately is in front. Or I could resize them and have them side by side but normally I just am looking at one at a time so having them one behind another is not a problem as it is so easy to click on the one I want to move to the front. I can jump from looking at references online to my Bible verses or my page I am writing on with just one click. Many thanks to the Zorin guys for making a very easy to use OS.

6 Likes

On your panel there is a 9 square icon, click on it that will open your application menu

The activities can be configured so you don't have to click on anything

I have my POP OS setup with Dash To Panel extension replacement of both Gnome panel, and POP Cosmic. This gives me more flexibility to have things the way I want.

I think that Zorin OS is best for beginners. I think POP OS is best for hardcore gamers. I am glad your enjoying Zorin OS 16.

Youve already discovered the beauty of Linux on your adventure. Linux gives you choices, and let's you make the choice.

3 Likes

It’s been too many weeks ago now to recall any specifics but I found PopOS to be a meh experience. I find Zorin much more to my liking as well. This might be at least in part because I am not a gamer.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.