Trying to install Tor

Hi,

Following this tut:

And I got this:

sudo cp /opt/tor-browser/Browser/start-tor-browser.desktop /usr/share/applications

Althoug being a Linux rookie, I expect this to make an ikon on the desktop for launcing Tor...

Evan

PS. My biggest wish right now is a an easy guide and gentle "Linux for Windows users", so I at least don't have wrestle so much with alien like commands. :o)

follow these guides maybe?

Did you reboot after adding the application file to /usr/share? Do other icons show up on your desktop? Did you change the permissions to make it executable? Try disabling and enabling the desktop icons extension.

Thanks.

Questions:

1. Did you reboot after adding the application file to /usr/share?
  2. Do other icons show up on your desktop?
  3. Did you change the permissions to make it executable?
  4. Try disabling and enabling the desktop icons extension.

Replies:

1. I tried reboot and noticed nothing.
  2. No other icons are showing up on the desktop.
  3. I just followed the the tut...
  4. Howto?

Evan

1 Like

install this
flatpak install flathub com.github.micahflee.torbrowser-launcher -y
and install tor from there

Or, if you prefer to avoid flatpak:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:micahflee/ppa

sudo apt update && sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

@Adithyansm: Ended with a black screen.

@Aravisian: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:micahflee/ppa - was not available now

sudo apt update && sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher - seems to work.

But I must admit that I have no clue what flatpack is... And will I always have to struggle with this Alien Terminal stuff, that give almost no meaning for me?

Is there another way to install like the software that are ready to install from inside Zorin?

TOR is in the software store in Zorin, try that if you still can't install it.

If you mean like a Self Installing Package, that would be any *.deb package, where the * stands for the package name.
But not every independent developer creates a package as a .deb. This is true on Windows, too, where not every independent developer puts a product out as an .exe
I had to install some stuff using Ninja in the CMD Prompt on Windows.

Not at all, no. They have no meaning because they are new to you. Just as "regedit" in the CMD prompt on Windows might be new to you at some point.
But once you learn them, they are familiar and known and have meaning.
Looking above:
sudo: SuperUserDO as in, "Do This". This elevated you to Admin Privileges.
apt: The package management and supplier of software
Update: Updates your sources so you know you are getting the latest available software
install: This is self explanatory.
add-apt-repository: The terminal does not like whitespace or spaces between words that are part of a whole. So, we replace those spaces with a dash reserving spaces to separate terminal commands.
add-apt-repository is the command to add the repository to your apt sources to allow you access to the software that repository contains.

It is very confusing to users coming to Linux now. There are three different package management systems at work, right now and they are each competing with each other. I rely solely on APT and I do not use Flatpak or Snap.
Flatpak and Snap offer advantages... and disadvantages. APT is the Standard package management system in use.

Thanks, I really appreciated it. I would love to leave MS after 35 years and use Linux.

I'm very pleased that I don't have to use Terminal, but I must admit I often use Windows prompt really to have something done efficiently. Maybe because I started years before Windows slowed almost everything down.

"package management system" is a install system..?

When ATP is standard I'll try my best stay there. I wish there was a standard distro beside all kind of distros.

One of the many reasons I will try Linux are that I'm tired MS telemetry and the way they treat customers. 66% of my install time of a new Windows install are used to remove all kind of nasty stuff.

ok *.deb package: So If you have to find such a package the developer will announce that..?

1 Like

This is the same reason I prefer and use the terminal.
It is fast, efficient and once you learn it, easy to use.
You can search packages with it, both installed and available. Convert files and packages, move them, copy them, etc.

Yes, like "Add and Remove Software."

Often, developers do announce their packages. You can look for their github page or if they have their own webpage. For example, looking for a .deb package from a developers webpage may include looking at the Brother Printers Website.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.