Tune up Zorin OS Lite

Hi to all comunity thanks to install this marvellous system in my netbook intel atom n455 whith 2 GB RAM and now explain how to tune up and make more faster this system.
1.- Install updates once you are install the system.
2.- Install preload and prelink.
3.- Install zram-config.
4.- Install bleachbit.
5.- Install deborphan.

I recomended use the terminal to update and upgrade the system because its more efficcient because more times crashed and errors in the apt variable.

How I use deborphan, in a terminal windows use this:

sudo apt remove --purge `deborphan --guess-all`; sudo apt remove --purge `deborphan --libdev`; sudo dpkg --purge $(deborphan --find-config)

Every day or every week or every month use this:

1.- sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade
2.- execute bleachbit and bleachbit root
3.- use deborphan and localpurge.

Deborphan determines which packages do not have others depending on your installation, and shows you a list of these packages.
While Localpurge is a utility that deletes all manuals and help that are in a language other than those configured through it within our Operating System.

Other thing use lightweights themes icons to maximize the system

Have a nice day.

1 Like

This is what I see doing that command:

mech-1@mech1-Aspire-XC-605G:~$ sudo apt remove --purge deborphan --guess-all; sudo apt remove --purge deborphan --libdev; sudo dpkg --purge $(deborphan --find-config)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libxatracker2 libxvmc1 python3-blinker python3-entrypoints python3-httplib2
python3-jwt python3-lazr.uri python3-problem-report python3-protobuf
python3-rfc3339 python3-simplejson python3-wadllib x11-apps
x11-session-utils xbitmaps xfonts-scalable xinit xinput xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-input-all xserver-xorg-input-libinput xserver-xorg-input-wacom
xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati
xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-vesa
xserver-xorg-video-vmware
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
cinnamon-control-center-goa* gnome-online-accounts* python3-apport*
python3-bcrypt* python3-cffi-backend* python3-cryptography* python3-keyring*
python3-launchpadlib* python3-lazr.restfulclient* python3-macaroonbakery*
python3-nacl* python3-oauthlib* python3-paramiko* python3-pymacaroons*
python3-secretstorage* xorg* xserver-xorg* zorin-os-desktop*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 18 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
After this operation, 6,207 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

It pretty much wanted to remove all graphics and desktop environment.

I think your command above should be used with Great Care.

2 Likes

Yes its true this command needs use whith extremelly caution but I use more times and nothing pass my friend.
Later use this command use apt autoremove to delete the imnecesary packages.

Aravisian, thanks for adding your comment as someone like me may well have assumed that this would be a sensible and harmless command to run.
However, I don't understand why 'deborphan' identified 'all graphics and desktop environment' as not used and/or not required. From briefly reading about it it's not supposed to do that is it?
Thanks.

I cannot vouch for the specific app "deborphan". But I have come across 'orphan' removal packages before that have this same issue. The cause is that they do not actually have a way of identifying an orphaned file. The way they operate is to target packages that are not set to manually installed. It is like sudo apt autoremove on steroids.

The lesson in this is very clear: Always read Terminal Output before taking action or making a decision.
When I experienced this in the past,it was very early in my migration to Linux. So, it created a situation where I was unsure of how to fix it and I had made No Back Ups and Trusted without Thinking. I ended up losing all my data. Everything. I had to re-install the Operating system and my files were all lost. That... you know... it stung a bit...
We live in an age where people have been conditioned to tap "I agree to your terms and service" without reading them.
We live in an age where M$ and Google has constantly said "trust us. We are here to make life easy" and that sounded too good to pass up.
And we stopped reading.
I do not blame the app developer and I do not blame Leonardom1967. If the user reads the terminal and sets Important apps to "manually installed," then the deborphan commands can give a good cleaning. Great if you have limited space or /var keeps filling up root.
I blame ourselves for forgetting how to read.

By the way, I like your avatar - as an HO scale Steam Era enthusiast. :smiley:

2 Likes

The "Y" key on the keyboard should have a keylock, like a missile launch key. As it sometimes has the same undesirable effect.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply and I agree that it is a dangerous game to take actions without an understanding of what impact they will have. As you say, if you don't pay attention to the terminal output then you can't really blame anyone else if it goes wrong.
I first worked with Linux about 20 years ago but only at a level which didn't require too much 'under the bonnet' work, so have never developed a deep understanding although I did use manuals to setup and configure various services.
However, the level of support from Linux forums was (and remains) really excellent which, ironically, also adds to the 'trust us' thinking you describe. Over the years I have followed many sets of instructions which have fixed problems for me and I have to admit that there were some where I didn't really know what was going on!
I think another issue for me is that Linux distributions have been getting better and better requiring even less knowledge of what's 'under the bonnet'. Consequently, we have a very wide range of Linux users from 'experts' to 'migrants from Windows XP' so it makes it difficult for people giving advice on forums to know what capability of person they are dealing with. They may well take it for granted that someone reading the advice knows enough about Linux not to do anything stupid but, I suspect, that often isn't true.
Also, we all want things fixed instantly nowadays so are less likely to do our own research which would improve our understanding before we act.
I'm sorry that you had that early data loss experience. Having worked in IT my entire career, the backup issue is one I don't have to worry about. I work on the assumption that my laptop/desktop/mobile phone will irrecoverably fail at any time. Consequently, I have multiple layers of automated backup and recovery.

That's interesting that you are an HO scale enthusiast, I am an 'OO' scale modeller covering British steam (I say 'modeller' but I really just buy and play with toy trains!).

2 Likes

As with everything in life these days. To avoid dissapointment, always read the small print. Particularly in Terminal output.