Ubuntu planning to prioritize snap over deb in future versions. This is a problem

I'm personally very uncomfortable with this decision. Unfortunately, this would directly affect Zorin OS, as well, since the base of this OS is Ubuntu.

4 Likes

Ubuntu has previously done this, changing the Gnome Software Store to the Snap Store. It did not go over well and they ended up dropping that. At that time, Zorin OS was not affected by that decision as ZorinGroup utilized the .deb and apt utilizing Software Store.

This is an odd announcement, given that Canonical has stated that they are dropping all Snap Packages by Ubuntu 24.04. EDIT: Scratch that. That was an April Fools day joke.

Perhaps it is a last ditch effort?
Hard to say.
23.10 is an interim release, however and not LTS nor supported for very long. And Zorin OS is never based on Interim releases.

3 Likes

What in the world is wrong with Ubuntu? However, Zorin OS is not just any old Ubuntu. In extreme cases, Zorin OS can stop being based on Ubuntu.

I'd love Zorin to go for a pure Debian base. Especially since the latest Debian seems really awesome to me. The latest Ubuntu LTS, however, sucks. Just my opinion.

1 Like

Wasn't the news about Ubuntu dropping snaps an April hoax?

1 Like

I have been had. I never noticed that publish date.

2 Likes

I just started using snapcraft store about 6 months ago, I like that they have necessary dependencies bundled, for setting up a Folding at Home client. Of course I still love using .deb installs as well. Pure Debian would be doable.

I reading a corporation linux example Canonical or Red Hat. Cannot be trust! The debian and arch never gived a people some very drastic changing heartattack or headeach. :slight_smile:

I mostly agree. In addition, deb. packages often felt lighter and snappier (pun intended) to me.

But I will stick to my point, that deb. packages have caused me headaches, where flatpak and snap versions have not. Most notably Discord, Zoom, and Steam. I don't want to have to go through hoops to make them work properly, nor do I want to have to set up PPAs. I want to be able to apt install them and then they work, and done. Especially for the three mentioned ones, the deb. packages have not done that for me. Flatpaks and snaps have.

So to comment on you saying they're unnecessary: in my opion, they are (unfortunately) necessary in some special cases.

I don't care how much place it taken. It must be working for me.
In this technology we have fast pc, fast internet, fast hard disk nvme.
Besides not always software exist on .deb package.
If I would like go to back XVI century then propably don't care what is going on on internet and whole that world inside.
Many people don't using internet.

Very valid point; you should use the tools that work for you. Have you tried their web application instead? I personally never installed neither Zoom nor Discord, and never had any issues with them through the web, even with an ad-block enabled (with some tweaking to let the essential scripts load).

I must say though, I agree with 337harvey on this one.

1 Like

Sure, the web applications work. Just annoying, though. My Zoom deb. package was not on the latest version for the last several weeks, so it could not connect to meetings. So I was force into the web application. But the web application always had me manually copy the meeting password that was sent with the invitation link manually. Not a big deal, just annoying. But then with some meetings the password would just not work. This never happened with the desktop application. Which, again, was a deb. package, and not on the latest version, and thus could not connect.

1 Like

I also use the .deb packages for Zoom and Discord (and I use BetterDiscord) and they, nor their version numbers, never gave me any trouble. I use Zoom every single day of the work week currently.

User experience is really the determining factor. Some users have had better luck using the Flatpak for Steam.

This is why it is a good thing to have more than one option. Flatpak helped ease that.

1 Like

Do you recall having any issues due to version mismatch? I must say that is one really strange behavior. If it's intentional, it's a rather bright red flag about the quality of the product...

Btw, this all sounds oddly familiar, didn't we discuss this already in another thread? :thinking:

If I had, I would recall it. No, I never lost the ability to connect, make calls or anything else of the kind due to version mismatch on Zoom.
I have experienced an issue on two occasions where users with a different version had a different option available to them in a Zoom call.
But it had a very minor impact on the meeting.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.