Unable to install Mono

I'm running a fresh install of Zorin OS 15.3.

Following the instructions here, I attempted to install Mono so that I can install SMAPI (the mod framework for Stardew Valley.) However, when I get to the update, I get this error:
N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-i386/Packages' as repository 'https://download.mono-project.com/repo/ubuntu stable-focal InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'

Which doesn't seem to make sense to me, because I just switched from Pop OS and was able to install Mono on that just fine.

And then when I get to installing mono-devel, I get a whole list of errors:
The following packages have unmet dependencies, and a concerning error on the last line:
mono-devel : Depends: mono-runtime (>= 3.0~) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.31) but 2.28-0ubuntu1+zorin4 is to be installed or
libc6.1 (>= 2.31) but it is not installable or
libc0.1 (>= 2.31) but it is not installable
Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.64.6) but 2.58.1-2+zorin1 is to be installed
Depends: libmono-cecil-private-cil (>= 6.12.0.122) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-cecil-private-cil (< 6.12.0.123) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-codecontracts4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-compilerservices-symbolwriter4.0-cil (>= 3.6.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-corlib4.5-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-peapi4.0a-cil (>= 3.2.8) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-relaxng4.0-cil (>= 2.10.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-security4.0-cil (>= 3.0.6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-configuration-install4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-configuration4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-core4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-data4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-drawing4.0-cil (>= 3.0.6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-io-compression-filesystem4.0-cil (>= 3.2.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-runtime-serialization4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-runtime4.0-cil (>= 2.10.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-security4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-servicemodel4.0a-cil (>= 3.2.3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-web-services4.0-cil (>= 1.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-xml-linq4.0-cil (>= 3.0.6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system-xml4.0-cil (>= 3.12.0) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-system4.0-cil (>= 4.0.0~alpha1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: mono-mcs (= 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: mono-roslyn (= 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: mono-gac (= 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: mono-xbuild (= 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-cil-dev (= 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-2.0-dev (>= 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libmono-2.0-dev (< 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1.1~) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: ca-certificates-mono (= 6.12.0.122-0xamarin1+ubuntu2004b1) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: mono-csharp-shell but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: referenceassemblies-pcl but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: msbuild but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I'm really not sure what to do here, since usually the package manager installs it's own dependencies just fine, except switch back to Pop OS. I'm not by any means uncomfortable with Linux but I'm a casual user, not a developer or sysadmin, so my capacity for figuring out problems like this on my own is limited.

1 Like

All you need is sudo apt install mono-complete or use Synaptic to search and install mono-complete. Incidentally, Edit -> Fix Broken Packages is an option in Synaptic that may be able to fix your broken packages.

That said, I use PlayOnLinux and have never had to install mono - whenever I create a virtual drive, POL installs mono for me.

PS - What is your output of wine --version ?

does mono have a visual designer? the docs say yes but some linux users tole me it doesn't