Unable to launch MS Flight SImulator X: Steam Edition on Linux

Hello everybody,

We have a MS Flight simulator X installed on an older PC , where it was running fine, up until a few months back: after that, only splash screen will appear, but then the game will not launch.

I am using Zorin OS 16.3, Steam installed through dl.flathub.org.

When it comes to compatibility: Properties/Compatibility: Proton 5.13-6 Steam/Propereties/General/launch options: PROTON_USE_WINED3D11=1 PROTON_LOG=1 %command% -FastLaunch

I am attaching log from launching the game:

I did try these things (none of that helped):

As I said, game was running before, it is not anymore and I am quite new to Linux (and Steam as well), so any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Many of us have been encountering this within just the last few months. Prior to that, never had a problem with Steam.
But now, many games that used to launch have just stopped launching and several of us have started threads on it.

I recommend opening Steam App > On the menubar,s elect Help > Steam Support

Select your title and submit a help ticket describing your issue in detail, the contents of terminal output for

sudo lshw -C video

glxinfo -B

It is worth trying - though I have had no response to my submitted support tickets.

Have you done any updates on the flight simulator software recently? Some people are finding themselves locked out of their games because of new anti-cheat code that doesn't play well with Steam.

Not manually, no. Any and all updates which are done are only through OS itself, which manages updates by itself.

I am sure there has been some updates since the last time it last was running, but if they were done by software itself, I cannot tell.

Dang, thanks for a prompt reply.

Well, I can at least rest easily knowing it´s not some botched update on our PC, but Steam problem in general.

I will do that. I don´t have a high hopes though, as they will probably reply Linux distro on an old PC is now worth their time, or something along those lines.

As for the requested info:

• sudo lshw -C video

description: VGA compatible controller product: G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] vendor: NVIDIA Corporation physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0 version: a2 width: 64 bits clock: 33MHz capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0 resources: irq:31 memory:fa000000-faffffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:f8000000-f9ffffff ioport:ec00(size=128) memory:c0000-dffff

• glxinfo -B

`name of display: :0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: nouveau (0x10de)
Device: NV92 (0x605)
Version: 21.2.6
Accelerated: yes
Video memory: 496MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 3.3
Max compat profile version: 3.3
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.0
OpenGL vendor string: nouveau
OpenGL renderer string: NV92
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.2.6
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 3.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.2.6
OpenGL shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 21.2.6
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00`

Do you use (external) NTFS drive? It may cause some trouble (here did too)

Nvidia dropped support for your graphics card and its last working driver (340) back in 2019.
Your issue likely is a graphics issue and you need the 340 drivers. So... You will need to add the legacy-drivers repository:

And install the 340 driver.

during installing this I got this

and still nvidia-smi not found

If you can show the full output, I can write the full path. Otherwise, try filling in the path:

sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/nvidia-340_340.10-4ppafocal6_amd64.deb

sudo apt -f install

@Aravisian when I'm opening this link I'm getting lost, I can't download or install anything :cold_sweat:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.