Unable to load desktop after assigning /home partition

I installed a fresh copy of Zorin OS 16 and reformatted my second hard drive so that it can be used as a work drive. I did an automatic installation; I did not manually add partitions myself for several reasons. The install went through without a hitch and I was able to boot into the desktop. When I went and assigned the work drive to /home, there is now a problem. After I enter the correct password, Zorin refuses to load the desktop, sending me back to the user selection screen.

This is what I always did when I installed any Linux operating system, and I never had this problem before. I have tried both Core and Pro versions, but the same thing happens.

Can you try this to see if it works? 20.04 - Change home folder drive - Ask Ubuntu

I read it, but I don't know where to start. I opened my /etc/fstab file and found this at the end:

/dev/disk/by-uuid/45252602-20ed-4f16-bcd1-0ff80a876cbc /home auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

So, according to the link you provided, I should just delete this line and add a folder to the /home directory on my / drive?

Well... follow it exactly as the link states with the details of it, but yes. Once you reboot, a new line will be added and created in fstab by the system.
So if you check afterward, a new line that looks very similar should have replaced the one you removed in the steps above.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.