Unable to run JNLP file

Hello All,
I have Zorin OS 16.1 Core, and I'm trying to run a software program called ermineJ. As I understand it, I should be able to double-click on ermineJ.jnlp, which I have downloaded, and the program should launch. However, double-clicking on the file brings up the following dialog: "Do you want to run ermineJ.jnlp, or display its contents?" No matter which of the four options I click on, nothing happens. I've also tried right-clicking on the file and selecting Open With Other Application. Whether I choose Open JDK Java 8 Runtime or Open JDK Java 11 Runtime, nothing happens. If I type "java -version" in the terminal, I get the following output:

openjdk version "11.0.15" 2022-04-19
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.15+10-Ubuntu-0ubuntu0.20.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.15+10-Ubuntu-0ubuntu0.20.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)

Does anyone have any experience running ermineJ or JNLP files in Zorin? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would not know where to start with coding anything, but try this. Right-click the file and select properties. Then select permissions tab, then check mark "allow to run as a program". Can't remember exact wording, then try.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

try:

cd [distination]
java ermineJ.jnlp

See if any error pops out of the terminal.

1 Like

Hi Storm,
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried what you said and got the following error:

Error: Could not find or load main class ermineJ.jnlp
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ermineJ.jnlp

Been looking up. It seems that this app haven't been updated for 4 years. This may be an issue with later java version. Try a previous version of java.

1 Like

OK, thanks for the suggestion! It sounds like it could be an issue with the app itself.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.