Unable to scan from Brother MFC-J5620DW

No apology is necessary.

Obviously I'm facing a learning curve coming over from the dark side

As I always say, technology is wonderful as long as it works

The help is appreciated

1 Like

Most likely, yes.

I am sorry, I was Unclear.
I meant for you to relay what the APT Prompt relayed, before hitting y at the prompt. We were using that command to figure out Which Packages were replaced.
I do this sometimes and following my own train of thought and habits, I took the procedure for granted instead of clearly relaying it

I think reinstalling is your best bet, now...

When it installed libc6-i386, it removed ALL the essential packages that depended on libc6 64bit. Which was most of Zorin OS and the full desktop.
It wiped your Operating System off the computer.

It is not your fault. Nor is it Synaptics.
It is Brother Printers fault for being dismissive enough with Linux to not Properly include the Current Dependencies for Linux.
This is also a downside of using automation... it cannot think when thinking is necessary.

If Hockey_Steve reinstalls Zorin, he can probably do all the same above in synaptic to get Brother Printer Software- Just Be Sure to UNCHECK Libc6-i386 from the list.

I'm always in the "what's this button for" camp.

I'll do a reinstall tomorrow.

Is there something to do to get the scanner working after the install.

Oops... just saw your last paragraph

Thanks for the help. I'm sure you've got something better to do on a Sunday

2 Likes

LOL I am actually building two new walls in my house.:expressionless:
So I have been replying in between framing. Which may have something to do with my lack of clarity above... I am posting distracted.

Because Brother drivers are not open source, they will never be included in Synaptic.

The best way to install a Brother driver is using a driver installer downloaded directly from Brother's site.

I do not know the model of OP's printer but this is where I download driver installer for my Brother printer. As you can see, Linux is fully supported.
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj870dw_us_eu_as

I should have pointed out what I wrote above (how to install printer + scanner driver for your machine), but I thought you were having a problem with scanning function only.

At any rate, if anyone is in doubt, I vouch Brother (propitiatory) and HP (open source) are the 2 best printer manufacturers which give a good support for Linux.

You can ask @Karl how happy he is with his new Brother multifunction printer :wink:

Just for the verification, I checked my Synaptic entry:

I have aforementioned Brother printer/scanner but none of those drivers are installed.

1 Like

When you need my help, just page me @FrenchPress
My Brother printer is same MFC series as yours.
I can give you a step-by-step guidance.

1 Like

Thanks for stepping in with the voice of experience.
In that vein... The O.P. has learned a lesson that I learned about a year ago... Protect libc6 on 64bit!

I know this because... I did the exact same thing about a year ago. But I was feeling stubborn and completely rebuilt Zorin OS from the terminal at the time and did not reinstall.

2 Likes

That's great.

I appreciate the guidance so that I don't have to do another reinstall. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

OK, c'est commencé :slight_smile:
Please tell me the exact model number of your Brother printer.

It is MFC-J56200W

Download a driver from this page (select deb).
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj5620dw_us_eu

Downloaded the Driver Install Tool and the 64-bit scanner driver

Now you will have to do the remaining operation from the terminal.

1. Move to the Downloads directory:
    CD cd Downloads

2. Find exact name of the installer you have just downloaded by listing the contnt of the directory:
    ls

When I type CD Downloads it returns
Command Not Found

Couldn't he double click on it FrenchPress and tell it to run the file in Terminal?

Or he could right click the Nautilus window where the file is located and say open in terminal, which would auto CD to it. Then just type the name of the file in terminal to run it?

Either way, I am sure one of those would do.

cd ~/Downloads

1 Like

It should have been lower case for sure.

cd Downloads
should also do.

I'm in downloads, but what is the symbol before the s?

?
Can you copy and paste here, or screenshot?