Unofficial Manual for Zorin 17 Core Beta - Final - 22:33 GMT 14.12.2023

Swarf, We have been using the Z15 Manual for a long time and it has served us well.
I admire your effort to update the Manual for Z17. Well done you :+1:.
But Z17 is still Beta (until 20/12/23?), so I see no need to work up a frenzy to get a Manual out for the Beta. Maybe better to finish one for the Z17Core (production version). Just a thought. Zab

1 Like

Hi, Well I have saved some time getting the Beta out as it will be the foundation on which will become the Manual for the Final Release. I can't see much change, apart from possibly some more apps, and the Software Updater which currently points to 'Custom Servers'; this will need information on changing from country locale to 'Main Server' for software updates. And yes, just got the email about the release on 20.12.2023.

2 Likes

Well busy preparing a Ventoy created USB with Zorin Education and also the Lite version for a retiring head teacher where my eldest works as a Teaching Assistant as I was trying to find the commands to stop printers from being autodiscovered which I thought I had included in this publication. To my horror, what had looked tickety-boo on my screen before uploading to my cloud account, looked abysmal on browsing it today as I saw with horror text obliterated by screenshots. I will need to take a great deal of care when producing the manual for the finak release which will mean I will just edit this thread title in due course.

This is one of the reasons I like creating documents as plain text first! Since it's always the same everywhere and easy enough to port them into other formats later on as needed.

Maybe you should have made the original thread title "Unofficial Manual Beta for Zorin 17 Core Beta" :slight_smile:
I know what it is like. You prepare a document, check it, publish it then find a formatting problem. I did think if you saved as PDF, the result should be WYSIWYG.
Don't fret. Z17 production version is not out yet.

This is the problem once you retire and spend too much time on a PS4 Pro! I've been thinking where I have gone wrong and it has come back to me. I should have inserted Page Breaks at end of each page. Another tip everyone should follow is when you are creating in a Text Processor you should always have non-printable symbols showing to show up any errors ... like seeing if Page Breaks are present! I had to instruct this to others where I used to work and they didn't like it because of how it looked on screen! When you are preparing a document for Large Print users or preparing a document for Braille Translation, non-printable characters are crucial for accuracy.

3 Likes

You have outdone yourself on this guide. I just read it front to back, slow week for desktop support. I will wait for about a month, I retire end of Jan 2024, before I install Zorin 17 other than maybe play with the live version on the computer I have targeted to be the recipient.

3 Likes

And you have understated your comment. :wink:

1 Like

Moderators, please lock this thread. I have taken down the Beta manual and have started on the Core manual here.