UNRESOLVED - Must boot into recovery to boot zorin, blank screen otherwise

Hello I have an HP probook 450 and I have this quirk where I must choose to boot into recovery mode and then select the first option, I think it reads as boot normally and then I can boot into Zorin. If I select the first boot option in grub I get a blank screen and must hard reboot my PC.

Welcome to Zorin OS 16, and the ZorinGroup forum! And also, thank you so much for supporting the dev's, I really appreciate it, you are positively stellar! :star2:

From your description, it sounds like you might be running an Nvidia GPU without your proprietary drivers installed. Could you please...

CTRL ALT T to enter terminal.

sudo apt install screenfetch

Once installed, please just type screenfetch

Please take a screenshot and post here.
And if you do have a discreet Nvidia GPU, click on the :zorin: logo, type additional drivers. Click on that. Make sure you have your Nvidia driver selected, the one have here.

StarTreker

yoda
Who is slowly coming back to full power
May the force be with me

1 Like

Hey thanks for getting back to me so soon! Here is the screenshot you requested, I do not think there is a discreet gpu in this computer.

Your welcome!

OK, two things I notice here. First, your computer most certainly exceeds the requirements to run Zorin OS, so no problem there!

Second, you don't appear to have a discreet GPU in your computer. I believe that your computer may have an integrated GPU, but I find it strange that its not listed either in your screenfetch, and that most certainly is not normal.

In terminal, please run...

sudo lspci -v | less

Please post the results in a reply, thanks! Trying to figure out the GPU situation right now.

2 Likes

Here you are!

Intel Xeon.:expressionless:

I recall a gross Kernel Bug on that... let me search.

Found:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1843274

This bug ran all the way through to Kernel 5.10. The claim is made that it is fixed in 5.11, though non-specific as to which 5.11 version...

You might try:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates

sudo apt update && sudo full-upgrade

1 Like

Ohhhh ho ho, Whiskey lake, I see the problem now, your computer's drunk. Very nasty, we gonna have to ween it off the liqueur!

Aravisian is correct, I believer there is a bug with that poor Xeon. I literally gasped when I saw which chip you had and I was like, ohhhhh is that the one?

1 Like

Ha! Probably.

Restarting now. Fingers crossed.

No good. Thanks for the suggestion though!

It seems that in my quest to find the operating system I like the most I also found a bug. There are no strange bugs so far, either; no strange graphical artifacting or anything.

It was worth the shot, though the patches in that repo deal primarily with Nvidia- it does contain some Intel patches, too.

1 Like

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1933716

These bug reports suggest that the 5.8 kernel May work or the 5.11.0-18 or before may work.
We can test it...
Ensure that in Software & Updates you are set to Main Server. Not a local or regional one.

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63 linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63 linux-headers-5.11.0-18-generic linux-modules-5.11.0-18-generic linux-image-5.11.0-18-generic

1 Like

That does not seem to do anything, unfortunately. How do I ensure I am using the correct server?

Try:

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

My output:

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic
[sudo] password for mech-1:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
linux-hwe-5.8-headers-5.8.0-63
Suggested packages:
fdutils linux-doc | linux-hwe-5.8-source-5.8.0 linux-hwe-5.8-tools
The following NEW packages will be installed:
linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-hwe-5.8-headers-5.8.0-63
linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic
linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic
0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 78.9 MB of archives.
After this operation, 390 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Open Software & Updates from the app menu. On the Popup window that opens, the first tab that is open, you will see Downlaod From: and a Drop Down menu. Set that Drop Down menu to Main Server.

1 Like

I am on the correct server. I just got why told me what your output is! At least I got there lol.

Screenshot from 2021-10-17 20-10-13

1 Like

Ok, to boot into the 5.8 kernel,
Reboot and start tapping the esc key as you pass the Motherboard Manufacturer Splash screen to see the Zorin Grub Recovery menu.
Select Advanced Options for Zorin and arrow key down to the 5,8 kernel to boot.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Edited title