Update Your Whole System With 1 Command - Update Bash Script

I had written a bash script ages ago and never fully got around to making different branches it was a do it yourself script you had to configure it the way you wanted too each time.

I have now added those pre-configured files inside their respective folders and a new readme in each folder on what exactly it runs.

The ubuntu all or ubuntu flatpak folder will be best for Zorin OS depending on if you have flatpaks from the pro version or how you installed your packages.

In short you don't have to write 5 terminal commands you only need to write sudo bash update.sh and it will update your system and even reboot it for you if you so chose good for kernel updates.

The repo can be found here GitHub - justincroser/update: A simple bash update script to save time when typing in the terminal.

3 Likes

Very nicely documented, I like that.

I think there's an opportunity to refactor and consolidate this into a single script, by providing arguments to the command like. For example:

./update --flatpak-only --reboot

Narrowing it down to one file can help to reduce duplicate logic and make it easier to extend in the future. Also, once the interactivity is removed (or made optional), you can automate this using cron jobs or assigned to a keyboard shortcut.
If you are up for it, I recommend this article:

There is a link to an accompanying video on YouTube, if you prefer that as well.

1 Like

I do my coding part-time and do it for fun, same as my website codebase is all just for fun with CSS and markdown files for the posts. I'm happy to refine my skills. I'll check it out when I have time and see what I can manage to do thanks for your input. :grinning:

1 Like

More so for newbies, it's easier to define what a distro is based upon then what package manager is being used. Especially if you start getting into arch and pacman, yay AUR helpers etc...

1 Like