Updater To 17 Pro A Disaster For Me

Thanks that is what I did before the update ..... it won't allow you to try updating using any other DE but Gnome .....

My problem is that I don't have a descent Gnome desktop layout to use as I have no choices to change it to anything but the one I am currently using

Under Zorin Appearances / Layout the Layout screen is blank like I showed in my Photo .....

I think Aravisian did a post on what to reinstall to get Zorin Appearance back on a different thread. Hold on!

Last post by Aravisian in this thread.

1 Like

I have a Question: You wrote that You installed 16.3 again and that You will try an Update later. Why You didn't install directly Zorin 17? When it is installed You don't need to do an Update to Z17.

Thank you sir but that didn't work still no layouts .....

Perhaps he wanted to save time resurrecting /home when not needed?

2 Likes

Can you see if the earlier option in the thread restores them that Aravisian offered as first one? Is it Core or Premium/Pro? Just checked your sig/profile and see it is pro in which case the commands are different. Hold on!

Oh and I think Pro upgrades need a payment? Not sure. You might need to contact Team Zorin on that question.

1 Like

I have some 600 GB of info on that drive and I backup using Rescuezilla as my backup source ..... it makes a complete picture of your entire disk including the partitions with no options to pick and choose what you want to reinstall or not .....

This seemed like the best solution to me ..... I'll give it a try again soon but not tomorrow as we are scheduled for a 12 hrs brown out ....

1 Like

Thanks I read the entire thread you posted gonna sleep on it as I've been at it since 5:30 am this morning and my brain needs to sleep ..... will work on this day after tomorrow as like I said we are getting a 12 hr brown out ..... for joy ......

Just curious, how long did it take with Rescuezilla to make that backup, and how long to restore?

1 Like

Sorry to hear about the brown out.

1 Like

I gave up on the direct upgrade and did a clean install, because I felt it was faster than trying to fix the problem. It may need the feature to be able to roll back before upgrading.

1 Like

Due to my experience with Ubuntu upgrades in the past , I completely removed the budgie desktop I'd been using for two years and had pleasant upgrade experience. I had to come to forum here for some help to restore the default sessions to Zorin 16. @ Frog I hope the next upgrade attempt goes well !

1 Like

Ah, okay. Then it will not work.

1 Like

Took about 1.5 hours to back up and 2+ hours to restore but it seems like something is slowing down my 1 TB external drive .....

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm not having a problem with my USB ports on my laptop ..... sometimes if I plug 2 more devices into the 2 free USB slots it will disconnect my USB WiFi mouse ..... never used to do that .....

Can't plug two 1 TB Passports into those slots anymore period as it shuts down both my WIFI dongle and my WIFI mouse now ..... again I used this type of setup for years .....

I am running a 4 port USB gadget plugged into 1 of my 3 laptop ports but again been running that set up for years ......

1 Like

Yea it is a regular occurrence in the country I now live in (16 years now) ...... about once a month for them to do maintenance on the feeders ...... ya kinda get used to it ......

Yea when I started the updater it told me I was using a unauthorized desktop version and would not proceed until I removed it .....

Have you been able to try FrenchPress's solution to lost premium layouts yet?

1 Like

Yes I did but they didn't work for some reason ......

Wonder if it is because at one point pro was premium, so replace premium with pro. As you are a pro user you should get help from Team Zorin.

1 Like

Well I didn't solve my original question but I did manage to cobble together a usable desktop using Zorin Tweaks ..... hopefully it will get me through the Updater tomorrow .....

If I can get Zorn 17 Pro up and running I plan on installing Cinnamon DE if it is available for Jammy that it ..... I did read on Ubuntu that it was available for Ubuntu 22. something or other so it may just work .....

I have a ton of customization I'm sure I will have to reinstall but then that is the fun of Linux .... you can ....

I think I should also delete ..... before i begin my new updater..... Zorin Lite and my copy of Cinnamon on Zorin 16.3 so that I will only have Zorin 17 Pro installed on this drive .... I really have no use for the versions as I used Zorin 16.3 Pro with Cinnamon 99.9% of the time anyway ....

I dual boot with Win 10 on another drive and it has come in very handy for emergencies so I will keep it ....

I'm hoping that when I finally get 17 Pro installed my Zorin Appearance will come back to normal as I know there are extra layouts included with Pro ....

If anyone can think of anything else please let me know and and thanks to eyeryone for all your help .....

OH and power came back on at 2:00 PM .... 4 hours ahead of schedule ....