Updating to Kernel 5.13 for Alder Lake support

Is it there any plans to upgrade the kernel to version 5.13 to make Zorin compatible with Intel Alder Lake?

On the details page, it says Zorin 16 is running 5.11 Technical details - Zorin OS.

Reference: Linux 5.13 To Add Perf Support For Intel Alder Lake - Phoronix

Changed from Hardware to Chat.

1 Like

Currently, Zorin OS is on 5.13.0-27 kernel.

Changed to General. Instead of asking for developer intentions, which would be unknown to forum volunteers, the question is answered since Z16 is already at requested kernel.

@hcmendez - could you please mark the response as the solution?

Thanks for that clarification.

@hcmendez If you want, you can install the 5.16 kernel...

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline -y
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt-get install linux-generic-5.16
2 Likes

I just did it on old gt440 setup and no drivers on reboot 640 res only reinstall help but ok not a big problem

Doing this won't mess up my Zorin installation?

Installing a newer kernel then the one that Zorin OS 16 comes with, could cause you a black screen of death. Good news however, if it does, you can revert to an earlier kernel in GRUB if you do.

I am having the opposite problem, I updated my OS for kerne 5.13, but GRUB doesn't have the new kernel listed, so I am stuck on 5.11.41. I am waiting for the Zorin brother's to fix that, as Aravisian and I haven't found a fix for me yet.

1 Like

idk that, for me it worked...

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.