Upgrade core to pro

Hey guys! Is the option to upgrade to pro in the appearance section an in place upgrade or do I still need to go through the whole install process?

2 Likes

When I installed to Pro I had to go through the whole process again using a boot able USB ... but maybe someone else knows a better way ...

2 Likes

Did you go through the upgrade link on appearance menu?

2 Likes

No I used the key they sent me by email and downloaded Zorin Pro from the website they sent me to ...

2 Likes

Oh ok, ya in core where you pic appearance there 4 premium ones are greyed out and there is a link to upgrade. Might just take you to the site the download an iso then?

1 Like

It is my undersatnding that from the purchase confirmation email link, you need to download and install Z16 Pro from scratch. I do not think you can simply upgrade from Z16 Core to Z16 Pro.
You may, by way of the "Something Else" installation method, set to not format your /home partition, thereby retaining your data intact. You should backup your /home partition before the installation nevertheless.

1 Like

@337harvey had an interesting suggestion on a method of performing such, without a direct upgrade, for Pro users. But we have not tested it.
Pro users receive an .iso which they can use as a source for apt, to install from.

2 Likes

The direct upgrade functionality has not been implemented guys, Azorin himself has come out on the forum, letting us all know that he's working on it. But working on it, doesn't mean its there and ready for use. There is no such upgrade core functionality built into the OS yet.

Until such time that it is, you will have to do a fresh install.

5 Likes

@StarTreker . We are not talking about direct upgrade from Z15 to Z16, which I assume you are referring to, but upgrade from Z16 Core to Z16 Pro. i.e. upgrade within version.

If you know that Zorin Bros are working on that as well, can you point us to where they say that?
All I know is that they are working on a Z15 to Z16 upgrade solution, which is awaited.

1 Like

Well, I am so glad you asked! You asked, and the answer you shall receive. Bazinga!

3 Likes

Well you learn something new every day on here :smiley:
Thanks for adding the link where Zorin Bros announce that gem.

3 Likes

That’s great! Now that I’m 100% this will be my daily OS and want to get the pro to support and cause I like easy layout change :slight_smile: . I’ve never distro hopped before so I don’t know how to install pro without deleting all my programs and stuff

2 Likes

Backup first of course... after, if you don't mind being a guinea pig, it may be possible by using the image you receive as a source and performing an install by terminal. If you don't want to wait for that upgrade option from the Zorin's. I've been curious if it were possible... but haven't had the time to attempt it (school has me constantly coding). Through python on to html and css....:crazy_face:

3 Likes

I literally do not know how to even do that lol

1 Like

Does anyone know if I timeshift core would it restore in pro? Was going to back up my files but not sure if backing up the system would also work with pro?

As well as I understand Timeshift, even restoring from One Zorin Core to another Zorin Core on another computer would be risky.

Your best bet is to just back up your personal files by compressing them and saving them on another drive.

4 Likes

Ok thank you! I’ve never had to back up off timeshift so wasn’t sure how reliable it was going from core to pro. I’ll just use the back up app in Zorin when I finally switch to pro :smiley:

1 Like

Zorin BackUps is DejaDup and it is as risky if not more so as it encrypts the backed up contents.

Your best bet is to Compress your Files as tar.gz and then save them to your storage device.

3 Likes

Is that pretty simple? Like a right click option? Or is that a terminal command?

Exactly.
Right click the directory and choose Compress.
Honestly, it is the only way I back up. Too many oops and fails with Timeshift or DejaDup.

Plus, both of the other apps do not have a brain, so do not know how to discriminate between what to back up and save and what not to- and cause Bloat. You wait four times as long waiting them to finish, while twiddling your thumbs.

Right Click on /Documents and /Pictures and so on...
For hidden files, you can compress /.config as well as any hidden files you know you added. Like /.conky or if you added any new fonts, /.fonts. You can ignore /.dbus, /.cache, /.local, /.mozilla...

1 Like