Upgrade error from core 16.3 to 17

Hello,

I am using Zorin OS 16.3 core on my notebook and desktop.
But can not be able to upgrade to Zorin OS 17 core on both my notebook and desktop and get the exactly same error when I try to upgrade, which is like below.

Upgrade error log:

[CHECKING] Started
[CHECKING:Validating Upgrade Attempt] Started
[CHECKING:Validating Upgrade Attempt] Completed
[CHECKING:Checking Filesystem] Started
[CHECKING:Checking Filesystem] Completed
[CHECKING:Restarting Apt] Started
[CHECKING:Restarting Apt] Completed
[CHECKING:Simulating Flatpak Transaction] Started
[CHECKING:Simulating Flatpak Transaction] Completed
[CHECKING:Processing Apt Repos] Started
[CHECKING:Processing Apt Repos] Completed
[CHECKING:Updating Apt Repos] Started
[CHECKING:Updating Apt Repos] Retrying
[CHECKING:Updating Apt Repos] Fatal Error: { error-repo-download-failed: }
[CHECKING:Updating Apt Repos] Failed
[CHECKING] Failed

Since it seemed a download error, I changed my download server from Korea to main server, but nothing changed. I still get the same error.
What should I do?

1 Like

Another user reported getting a server down error today:

1 Like

Thank you Aravisian. If this is a simple error like due to overwhelmed traffic, then I'll just wait a little bit and try again.

I have upgraded 2 of my 3 machines from z16.3 to z17Core.
the first was during the beta period, an Acer E3-111 laptop, dual core celeron w/8Gb ram and 380Gb hd. it took 2 hours via ethernet connection, has worked well no errors during install. Now this laptop only had Z16.3 on it, no other OS.

The 2nd is a HP laptop quad core amd e2-7110 w/amd radeon r2 graphics, 16Gb ram, 500GB SSD, I began this upgrade a few days ago, it took about an hour and failed, also having issues with the repositories. I was unable to do any fixes as found on the forum so, I downloaded the Z17 core iso image and using balena-etcher to burn created my bootable usb.
I was able to run the install successfully and am pleased with the result. the HP had dual boot previously but, I had already decided to make it a Zorin only machine.

The only thing I needed to migrate over from 16.3 was my favorite background (Aurora). I think this laptop is running faster than when I had 16.3 on it. It used to be dual booted with Win10 home.

I will be restoring my backup for this laptop to bring back my docs.

I will update once I upgrade my desktop. currently it is dual boot with Win10 pro and Z16.3.

1 Like

Hello,

Iḿ also having trouble upgrading to 17. I used 16.3 and want to upgrade to 17 Pro. I bought the code but having errors al the time. Iḿ trying it for a week now, but every time same errors. Anyone any idea what to do?

[CHECKING] Started
[CHECKING:Creating Necessary Files] Started
[CHECKING:Creating Necessary Files] Completed
[CHECKING:Adding GPG Keys] Started
[CHECKING:Adding GPG Keys] Completed
[CHECKING:Updating Apt Repos] Fatal Error: { error-repo-download-failed: }
[CHECKING] Failed
[CHECKING:Restoring System] Started
[CHECKING:Restoring System] Error: { error-repo-download-failed: }
[CHECKING:Restoring System] Completed

Please launch Software & Updates app from the app menu.
In the first tab, ensure that Download From is set to "Main Server" in the drop down menu. Once that is done, close the app and allow it to refresh.
Launch terminal and run

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

The difference between "full-upgrade" and "dist-upgrade /upgrade" is that the "full-upgrade" allows for the overwriting of existing files. The "dist-upgrade" will only upgrade packages which do not require overwriting to be performed.

Once all packages are fully upgraded, Check Your Sources and see if you have any packages installed from third party suppliers that do not have a Jammy repository.
If they lack a Jammy Repository and are no longer being maintained, you won't be able to use that repo on Zorin OS 17, anyway. So remove those packages and repositories.
You can remove a repo by launching Software & Updates then going to the Other software tab, clicking on the repo and then clicking the Remove button on the bottom toolbar.

Once your sources are cleaned up, try running the Zorin Upgrader.

Thanks for your reply. I did all the things above, but unfortunately same result. Also a new error included.

[CHECKING] Started
[CHECKING:Updating Apt Repos] Fatal Error: { error-repo-download-failed: W:GPG error: https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY E88979FB9B30ACF2, E:The repository 'https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease' is not signed. }
[CHECKING] Failed
[CHECKING:Restoring System] Error: { error-repo-download-failed: W:GPG error: https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY E88979FB9B30ACF2, E:The repository 'https://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb stable InRelease' is not signed. }

The Chrome source lacks the GPG key for Jammy. I would just remove Chrome and the repository for it, then reinstall Chrome after upgrading. Much easier than trying to untangle it.

1 Like

Attempted the Upgrade on my desktop today and purchased the Pro version, all went well till the end, and got an error that the upgrade failed while checking for the updates. will attempt this again and see how it works.

Hello,

Sorry, had not time earlier. Tried again and looked for Google (chrome) software, but it is not installed. I can't find it in 'Software'. Is there any other place to look?

Edit:
Removed it with 'sudo apt --purge remove google-chrome-stable'.

Now it's installing 17 Pro. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

RE: Upgrading my desktop.
I followed the instructions in Aravisian's post to update the repositories, then rebooted and all seems to be working correctly. Not sure why the upgrade has failed on 2 of my 3 computers.

CPU: 8-core AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 2387/2200/3700 MHz
Kernel: 6.5.0-21-generic x86_64 Up: 2m Mem: 1782.0/15909.3 MiB (11.2%)
Storage: 2.27 TiB (62.1% used) Procs: 394 Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.13

I have this morning started to upgrade from 16.3Pro to 17Pro and have encountered similar errors to the original poster. Using Aravisian's instructions, I managed to assert that the download is/will come from the main server; and also ran the two terminal command lines. However my error report is rather different at the lower end, as you will see; it is complaining about multiple configuration entries in the sources list, and therefore won't successfully complete the validation. I don't really know what to do about getting rid of these; do I have to remove the multiple entries manually from the software list or is there a terminal command that might do it?

[CHECKING] Started
[CHECKING:Updating Apt Repos] Fatal Error: { error-repo-download-failed: W:GPG error: https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A8580BDC82D3DC6C, E:The repository 'https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease' is not signed., W:Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default., W:See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details., W:Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target Packages (main/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_GB) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target DEP-11-icons-small (main/dep11/icons-48x48.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target DEP-11-icons (main/dep11/icons-64x64.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target DEP-11-icons-hidpi (main/dep11/icons-64x64@2.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target DEP-11-icons-large (main/dep11/icons-128x128.tar) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13, W:Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin-upgrader-simulate.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list:13 }
[CHECKING] Failed
[CHECKING:Restoring System] Error: { error-repo-download-failed: W:GPG error: https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY A8580BDC82D3DC6C, E:The repository 'https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease' is not signed. }

It is known that the Brave Browsers manually added repository balks at the Zorin OS Release Upgrade.

The simplesdt solution is to uninstall Brave Browser, but leave your config files intact. Then remove the Brave Browser repository using Software & Updates > Other Software.

Upgrade Zorin OS, then re-add the Brave Browser Repository for Ubuntu 22.04. Reinstall Brave Browser and since you left the config files, your settings should be transferred to the fresh install.

This can be corrected by removing the duplicate entry at Line 13 in the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/zorin.list

many thanks for the details. I got the browser sorted but then caused an unexpected crash of the desktop after meddling with the etc/apt list....don't ask me how or the details, but I eventually gave up with the upgrader and did a clean Zorin17Pro install with the purchased iso file. That went fine this morning and it's up and running. As a result, I have another question, posted in general help.

1 Like