Upgrade Gave Me an Older Version

Or is this was you were looking for:

I've never used GParted before...

The second post of images of gparted is what was needed. Your sdc drive is the one that holds Zorin. Forgive me for saying so, but it looks awfully messy! If you have an external hard drive I would firstly backup the entire drive using Rescuezilla. Separately backup the contents of the partition, HD2 (Applications). Does this HD2 contain programs or just data? I worked with someone once building NT4 Workstations and they put the programs on a separate partition to Windows. Bad idea as applications use the Windows registry, so if Windows goes west so do the applications!

I notice you have two fat32 partitions. Personally once you have backed everything up, take screenshots of GParted with detailed information about the properties of HD2. I would put this at the end of sdc and use the beginning of sdc for Zorin.
So, you don't have any primary partitions for Zorin. There are no bootable flags showing against any of them.

Here is how I do it.
Choose the something else method at install time.

1. Create 512 Mb Fat32 Primary partition for /boot/efi and mark as bootable.

2. Create an 80 Gb partition for '/' formatted to Ext4

3. Create an extended partition and create linux swap partition at the END of the partition equal to double your physical RAM.

4. Whatever is left in front of linux swap, mark as /home, formatted to Ext4, and ensure it is Primary.

I have a lot going on right now, with this being chemo week, so I won't be doing this right now. But I pasted it and printed it out, so I can do it later when I have time. Thank you!

1 Like

Now that chemo is over, I took a look at my Zorin installations. Over the past few days, Zorin installed new kernels and under "Advanced Options" 6.8-0-40 showed up on the list, and this also (along with 6.5-0-45) boots to Zorin 17.1 Pro. I then rebooted and let the system boot to the default (which was recently Zorin 16.2) and it now boots to Zorin 17.1 Pro again. I did nothing to fix this, the system updates apparently fixed everything.

1 Like

Good you are sorted.

FYI: Re kernel 6.8 and Nvidia (if you have it): After update, display is really slow and screen is tearing - #6 by AZorin

1 Like