Upgrade to Zorin 17 and 17.1: freeze and unexpected logout

Hello all,
I was using Zorin 16.3 and upgraded to Zorin 17 when it was released.
I went back to Zorin 16.3 because I noticed some "freezing" with the desktop, for example the mouse freezing or some applications freezing.
I also noticed that my laptop's fan speed was higher with this version of Zorin 17 and 17.1 compared to Zorin 16.3.

There is also something very strange: when I am logged in, my laptop will automatically lock up after 5 minutes if it is not being used, which is normal. But the problem is that when I try to re-login, it is as if I am logging on for the first time with a new session: I have to restart all the applications and the OS doesn't keep the previous session that was open. However, the laptop didn't restart...

I am using a mid-2009 Macbook Pro.

I tried with 17 and 17.1 but it is the same problem.
I want to downgrade to Zorin 16.3 because I didn't experience these problems with it.

Do you know how I should proceed to downgrade ?
Thank you,
Chams

2 Likes

Sadly, there is no easy downgrade option. The most straight forward approach is a fresh install.

Several users have reported these same issues On Zorin OS 17 Core - Slowness, new session upon wake and freezing.
These are being examined and worked on.

New sessions for me as well.

Want to clarify that this is happening on 17.1. Was not an issue on 17. Hope the Zorin Group identifies the cause and issues a hotfix soon. I like hotcakes, but in this case, I'd rather have a hotfix over hotcakes. :crazy_face:

1 Like

New sessions issues observed with Zorin 17 and 17.1 for me.

Thank you. I hope we get a fix. If not, I think Zorin 16.3 is also very good and will be maintained for a long time. No issue to keep this version as we should get maintenance updated until April 2025.

Can the freezing depend on what is being worked on?
E.g. running out of memory? The first couple of times I intuitively tempted all other processes. Then I gave it on 3 harddisk the normal fix under Mint 21.1 a swap harddisk.

Checking the memory usage, I was not confirmed the area is being used. I have 16 GB CPU and my swap section is 16.8 GB.

I read something about having a swap file but did not find out what's the difference and what is recommended

1. a swap disk or 2. a swap file. In my case, I correlate it to the use of certain software.

Bitwarden, which I read may require a certain version. I reinstalled it and since I have the impression the demand on computing power is less.
Trade Work Station TWS opens many windows and graphical presentations. I guess like Google and GMAIL each window requires between 150 and 300 MB of storage capacity. Counting all windows I am not coming up to 16 GB and forget the extra storage through the swapdisk or file.

As users, we cannot solve the problem but a detailed description may inspire the software engineers to creatively try.
For both of us and all users confronting this issue, I wish you good luck!
Reinhard

It can, but if you have 16gigs of RAM, it is most certainly not a very likely possibility. You can check your RAM with a memtest to see if the RAM itself has any faults or errors, however.

Faults in the RAM aside, 16gigs is plenty and should not cause any sluggishness or freezing of the desktop.

This is reasonably accurate. Some processes, like hibernate, will need swap to be on its own partition. For most others, having it on the same partition as a swap file is fine. If you prefer to err on the side of caution, keeping it on its own partition is fine.
Swap however, is not "free cost RAM". It is helpful for preventing a crash, but is not RAM and cannot behave as RAM with RAM speed.
Again, though, at 16gigs of RAM, you are not in a position to be highly concerned about memory space.