Upgrading repository package

I wanted to update the repository and then all the packages.

I typed sudo apt update

(...)
Reading state information... Done
1 package can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see it.

Then, I typed apt list --upgradable -a

Listing... Done
linux-modules-nvidia-470-generic-hwe-20.04/focal-updates,focal-security 5.11.0-34.36~20.04.1 amd64 [upgradable from: 5.11.0-27.29~20.04.1]
linux-modules-nvidia-470-generic-hwe-20.04/now 5.11.0-27.29~20.04.1 amd64 [installed,upgradable to: 5.11.0-34.36~20.04.1]

However, when I type sudo apt upgrade, I get this:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Huh? 0 not upgraded?

When I type sudo apt update again, I can still see there's the same package left to upgrade. How can I do it?

Would you mind opening the app menu (z), selecting administrative (if not there may be under system) and going to software updater. Does this allow you to update?

I use cinnamon DE and don't visit gnome to often, forgive me if my memory isn't correct.

Apt upgrade, apt dist-upgrade and apt full-upgrade are all different.
Full-upgrade will upgrade a package even if it must delete or remove the existing package to do it.
Dist-upgrade will only upgrade the packages that do not require deleting or removing the old to do so.

2 Likes

I learn something from you every day aravisian!

Such as how not to behave on a forum. :smiley:

1 Like

So, when sudo apt upgrade doesn't go forth with the upgrade, using sudo apt full-upgrade should do it?

It can... if the packages are present to be upgraded.

What do you mean? If a package appears when typing sudo apt update, it may not be upgradable?

Also, if the reason for not upgrading is because it requires an older package to be deleted or removed, shouldn't it ask if that's what we want?

I could be wrong, but I think I've seen that asked in terminal before.

If it appears when you run the command, it will upgrade.

It will if the upgrade command used is more generic. Using the dist- or full- commands removes that, causing it ensure compliance or even to check in some cases.

If you have packages marked for hold- they will show in the Up-gradable list, but not upgrade due to the hold on those packages.
Use apt-mark showhold to check if you have any held packages.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.