Usb 2.0 error

all my usb,like mouse,keyboard,wifi adapter,hardisk external is not working when i plug it to usb 2.0 but the light is on. but its working when i plug it to usb 3.0..can anyone help me,because i only have 2 3.0 usb port,so its hard for me to do any work.

Does the USB device show up under lshw in terminal?

It should look similar to:

*-usb:0
description: USB controller
product: 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 14
bus info: pci@0000:00:14.0
version: 05
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: xhci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=xhci_hcd latency=0
resources: irq:27 memory:f7e00000-f7e0ffff

Yes, please do what Aravisian asked you to do with the command to get the results.

A reason for USB 2.0 ports not to work but the 3.0 ports do work, could be a firmware issue. USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 use different controllers believe it or not. At this time being, Linux is supposed to continue supporting USB 2.0 controllers.

And I know they do, cause the computer I am typing on is so old, it only has 2 USB 2.0 ports, no 3.0 ports, and mine work just fine. So, run that command, and lets see if we can see your USB 2.0 controller, or at least any USB hub info.

I can get that from typing in

lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0138 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5138 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1bcf:288a Sunplus Innovation Technology Inc. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Same thing on my side. I only have two USB 2.0 and no 3.0 . I think my laptop was from 2010 or something lol.

That makes it almost 12-years old, soon to be reaching end of life, like the old single core 64-bit machines lol. I know, trying to get a little more life out of it while you can, I totally get that, as that is what I am doing with mine.

My old workstation is 2011 technology sold in 2012 when I got it. So mine would be almost 11-years old now. Its still holding on with Zorin OS, and CORE mind you, not even LITE, so thats saying something about how good Zorin runs.

However, I fear that in Zorin's next LTS distro, I probably would be forced to use LITE then, as I am sure CORE's system requirements will go up several years from now lol.

1 Like

Yes. This was my father's laptop that he gave to my brother and when my brother got a new laptop, I got this. I will probably get a new laptop in 2 or 3 years. Have to make this guy hold on till then.

I reading somewhere this could be problems with controlers.

1 Like

My 2 core is older than that. No problems. USB2 is fine on Z15.3. Also on Z16 when I tried it.

1 Like

My ThinkPad x61 (2008) still working fine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Original power brick? If so thats freaking amazing! First thing to go on a notebook computer is always the power brick usually. The two old notebooks in this house still have functioning power bricks, which is amazing after all these years.

1 Like

I have the original power brick. Only thing is the undetachable cable was torn after 3 years of daily use. I didn't want to risk getting a nice shock therapy by fixing it myself, so I got a replacement.

I busted the LCD display years ago and didn't feel like getting a replacement then. I have it VGA out to my TV. I might buy parts to replace it myself one day or just buy a replacement unit for under US$85 and cannibalize it, or just swap the HDD over.

Replaced the slim battery once, second one recently died. I'm going to buy a aftermarket one soon to flash a hack Middleton BIOS.

I had a Samsung Ultrabook Series 5 NP530U4B (2012) die on me after three years of use. Mobo went klutz after a BIOS flash in year 2.5. After 6 months, no longer respond to any buttons. I gave up on it.

1 Like

The problem with waiting too many years, is eventually the notebook gets discontinued, which means parts availability eventually goes away as well. It might be too late to get the display replaced now.

But like you just said, not a big deal, as you can use external display. Which BTW, is how I use my new computer, via external display. Let me ask you something, if you were given two choices, which one would you choose.

300 hertz 1080P 17" notebook screen
60 hertz 4K 55" TV screen

lol

1 Like

The other problem with older machines is that when age hits, many individual components can begin to malfunction or give out entirely with the user none the wiser.

If they attempt to salvage the machine by switching to Linux, they may think Linux is the reason that failed components are not working.

1 Like

There are lots of ThinkPad enthusiasts out there. Many collect, fix then resell them. My x61 was one of the last 4:3 displays ThinkPad models. I see plenty of this model online, but mostly used. Occasionally new.

1 Like

It'll depend on my use, available space, and bank account. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Thinkpad t61p I remember good heavy laptop with components and 2MB caches chassis. Very stable but gpu died after using to very hard. I remember bought new battery,more ram, new hard disk last what died was motherboard gpu what was soldered. Then i ordered new motherboard from China and working one year more. That learning me if something starting crashing then better buying new machine always you have a warranty. I don't know but one what I can sayed many years ago components was better.

1 Like

Just read about the issue with your model and Nvidia chips here:
https://thinkpads.com/t61/

1 Like

Yes but they produced a some motherboards with parts chips processors what are was not correct if you reading some materials and they was selled on market for people. I hate when we must sometimes paying double price because someone want selling some demo products and then next two or 4,5 years good product. They mostly selling us now poor product. Why my a twin computer not died and not crashing anything? Because was played only all life with farmville2?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.