Usb 2 or usb 3

hey how can i check that my laptop supports usb 3.0 or usb 3.1 pendrives or not

because i have to buy one for laptop if it not supports usb 3.1 then i'll think of usb 2.0

2 Likes

That's pretty much it.

Be warned:
Unscrupulous manufacturers have been using Blue USB ports on 2.0 ports. Simply, there is no actual Standard or Law to be enforced that Blue actually means 3.0
But by mismarking the 2.0 as 3.0, the shady manufacturers get more sales.

Run the following command in terminal:

sudo lsusb -v | grep -i bcdusb

hey i am getting this what does it mean

Looks like you have one 3.0 port. Look your computer over and if you see One blue usb port, then you have confirmed it.

As for the error you got... I would check over your fstab file if I were you. Check your disk integrity with a S.M.A.R.T. test, as well.

bro all ports are of blackish in colour

and pls help me out with pendrive concern
i want to buy a pendrive i was thinking of usb 3.1 pendrive which i was getting in a good offer so that's why i am asking is that usb 3 pendrive will be usable for me or not

You will be able to use a 3.0 pendrive on a usb2.0 connector, it just won't have the usb3.0 speeds. The technology is backward compatible. It will be limited to the speeds that the interface can handle is all.

Note: if you get a warning that the device will work faster in a usb3.0 port, change the port you use until you don't get the warning. Then mark that port in some way.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.