Using an ex-internal drive as an external drive

I know I can boot Zorin from a USB key. But if I have installed Zorin on a laptop, then because of problems with the laptop I decide to remove the SSD containing the zorin installation, can I use that SSD as an external HD and boot from it? I have plugged it into a USB port in my (newer, replacement) laptop but but the system cannot "see" the SSD. Maybe there is a conflict with file systems? FAT / NTFS
To clarify: I would like to boot from an external drive that was once an internal drive. It has 120 GB, and it was functioning OK (The laptop had problems booting, and with the fan, which is why I just gave up with it).

Yes, you can do that. Functionality-wise there's no difference between a internal and external drives. The only difference is that external drives come with an additional case that provides the USB adapter. Which is why I find this interesting:

How did you connect your internal drive from the old laptop through USB? I assume you have an additional adapter? If so, that may be one reason why the new laptop is not recognizing it: check that the connectors are in proper shape and consider using a bit of isopropyl alcohol to clean them.

There could be issues with this but none that would stop the system from at least knowing there's a drive there. The compatibility would be in reading and writing files. On the new laptop, with the drive connected, launch Disks and see if the drive appears in there.

1 Like

Yes, I have a case that the SSD fits into snugly, and I have used it before (like this : https://www.pcx.hu/raidsonic-icy-box-ib-ac703-u3-244733?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi5q3BhCiARIsAJCfuZmiB-iAn7CO2da2pVBHCSO2IEtaQFQKMWvLtI7KFkldqQEXZ3dG8O4aAuzSEALw_wcB ) But perhaps it does need cleaning, I will try some alcohol. Otherwise I can always buy a new case, they are quite cheap.

You say you purchased a new laptop. Windows 11? If so and it includes the August update, then you won't be able to boot from any Linux drive, internally or externally. This is due to security deficiencies in GRUB which led to the Windows security update to prevent any GNU/Linux from booting, even dual booting machines that had Windows and Linux coexisting before the update. If your new machine is required as a production (work) machine then you are advised not to turn off secure boot in the BIOS. If just for personal use, follow the guide here:

Hmm .. maybe the Problem is the Boot Stuff. Is on your new Machine Windows preinstalled? If yes, I think, You have to set it up again for a Dual Boot.