Using Zorin as a Internet Bridge

Using Zorin as a Bridge with verzion jetpack

Are you telling us you are using Zorin OS as an internet bridge using Verizon JetPack as the ISP, or are you asking how to do it?

My kids' schools used to hand those out to each kid at the start of the year (along with their school laptops), just in case they didn't have an internet connection at home.

One tip... especially apropos for cell phone tethering. The way some ISPs detect that you've got more than X clients connected to the internet connection you're sharing via HotSpot is via the number of hops the packets have left before they expire.

So configure your clients to have one more hop than the phone. The ISP will see all the packets coming at them with the same number of hops left, they won't be able to tell how many clients you've got connected.

Other ISPs use more sophisticated methods, but most don't because $.

Hi, could you PM me with how you do the hop thing on tethering? Come 2025 Copper is being switched off and Fibre is already on the lowest £10 a month more and £1 month more for digital phone connection. I intend to get unlimited data to use mobile phone for internet once copper is switched off and it would be cheaper than what I am paying for now - is it possible to get fixed IP with tethering?

For Windows, the default TTL is 128. I used to always set it to 65, because my Android phone had 64.
netsh int ipv4 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=65
netsh int ipv6 set glob defaultcurhoplimit=65

For Zorin OS, the default TTL (Time To Live) is 64. Unless you need more (you're getting timeouts on your net traffic sometimes), don't change it to a higher number except for incrementing it by one to get around ISP tethering restrictions.

sudo sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl=65
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.all.hop_limit=65
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.hop_limit=65
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.lo.hop_limit=65
sudo sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.wlo1.hop_limit=65

The above is what I had to enter... basically, you run this command:
sudo sysctl --all 2>/dev/null |grep -E -e "^net\.ipv6\.conf\.[^\.]+\.hop_limit" -e "net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl" |sudo tee /etc/sysctl.d/11-custom-ttl-hop.conf

That gave me the output:
net.ipv4.ip_default_ttl = 64
net.ipv6.conf.all.hop_limit = 64
net.ipv6.conf.default.hop_limit = 64
net.ipv6.conf.lo.hop_limit = 64
net.ipv6.conf.wlo1.hop_limit = 64

Then you prepend:
sudo sysctl -w
... to each of those, and increment the number by one.

Set each device to one hop higher than your phone's TTL. You'll have to figure out what the TTL is for your phone or device that you're tethering to.

If you use a router as an access point for your hotspot, then you would define it as 66, as per your example?

I ask, because this will allow for almost unlimited device connection if successful.

Yes, it's the number of hops on your providing device, plus the number of hops to get to the devices being served. A router would add an additional hop back to your phone (or whatever providing device you've got), so you'd increment by 2 instead of 1.

1 Like

Now just to figure out how to modify the ttl on my unrooted phone... lol

A Router would be irrelevant as the ISP would provide a fibre router which I wouldn't be using. My 'router' would be the smartphone with unlimited data!

Pro-tip: Check to see if there's a Developer's Version or Alpha or Beta Version of your phone's OS... often the developers leave Root ADB enabled on such versions for debugging purposes, which would give you root access via ADB to change the TTL, then you can roll back to the stable version and since rolling back doesn't change the configuration files (just the OS files), it should stick.

1 Like

Sometimes you can find a wireless router with two channels... you'd use one to connect to your phone, the other to connect all the devices. The phone would then only have one connection to contend with, and you'd only have one device to connect/disconnect to/from the phone. That adds an extra hop, though.

If you've got a WiFi Range Extender working in conjunction with such a setup (because it's a long distance to your wireless router or phone's hotspot), that too would add an extra hop.

I've used a WiFi Range Extender as a router (connected directly to the phone's hotspot, to allow more than the 10 default connections on my phone), but you have to find one that has the capability of doing DNS resolution and DHCP issuance.

You could also use two wireless routers, connected via a CAT5 cable... the first wireless router would connect to your phone (using one SSID and WiFi channel) and ship the data over the CAT5 cable to the second wireless router, which would connect all your devices (on a second SSID and WiFi channel). Sometimes you have to use a CAT5 cross-over cable, sometimes not. Depends upon the wireless routers.

A straight-through cable uses T568B wiring scheme, both ends of the cable are:
Orange-White | Orange | Green-White | Blue | Blue-White | Green | Brown-White | Brown

A cross-over cable has one end which uses T568B as above, and one end that uses T568A:
Green-White | Green | Orange-White | Blue | Blue-White | Orange | Brown-White | Brown

That allows, for instance, setting up a LAN connection between two computers without needing a hub or router. You just plug the cross-over cable directly into the network card of each machine.

My phone has a limit of 10 devices for Hotspot connection. While this is enough for the average person... there's nothing average about me when it comes to technology :grin:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.