Using Zorinos on my 4K TV screen

Hello,
Lately I've been connecting my pc to my 4K tv screen.
After booting, the settings in Zorin are automatically set to 3840x2160 (4K) so everything looks fine.

Except for the Login in screen. The text on the login screen are still very small and so far I can detect are not set to the proportions for 4K.

Even though I use the " Large text" within "Accessibility" of the settings, the text stays small.

By the way the Screen Lock (the keys "Windows + L" on my keyboard - for lock screen) the proportions are set to 4K and the text is readable.

Is there some way to adjust the settings to get the right proportions on the Login screen right, when using a 4K screen?

1 Like

Maybe this will help?

1 Like

Thank you StarTreker for looking into this,
I've tried your suggestion and installed the software "Login Window", but still there is no difference with the Login screen.

Do I further have to use some kinda command or so, to adjust the settings?

1 Like

That Login Window application is for configuring LightDM (Which is what I use).

It will not help you since you are on Zorin OS Core, which uses GDM3, not LightDM.

1 Like

What the heck, so why is it in the software store then if its incompatible with Gnome GDM3? Ugg

This is the kind of stuff that makes support tough for people like us.

Apologies Dasjdoom, you know I try my best.

1 Like

No problemo StarTreker and thank u Aravisian for the reponse,

Guess thats why I get an error "bashshell permission denied" when starting the terminal, so I uninstall the app of course.

It's not that big of a problem I can still login. But just for the record I wanted to know is there was a solution for this. But overall ZorinOS works great on my 4K screen, which I had to attach with a highspeed hdmi cable - else there would be a lag.

1 Like

Because you can install LightDM and replace GDM if you prefer it. :expressionless:

I use LightDM. GDM is way too limited and buggy for me.

1 Like

I don't know if I will do that.

Because the intel NUC is small and fairly mobile I often connect it to my tv screen, while using LibreElec, Windows or Zorin.

I noticed that compared to ZorinOS 15.3, the 16version has made some improvements because I don't have to alter the settings anymore. ZorinOS16 automatically uses the 4K settings and I don't have to use the "large text" settings, which I did in 15.3.

I hoped that by mentioning the login screen this could easily be adjusted. So I don't think I will install LightDM, because Zorin is running good without any further hiccups. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Can you try sending your configured monitors.xml file to the root gdm3 directory to ensure it is read prior to loading the desktop?

sudo cp ~/.config/monitors.xml /var/lib/gdm3/.config/

sudo chown gdm:gdm /var/lib/gdm3/.config/monitors.xml

1 Like
sudo nano /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.interface.gschema.xml

Change the default value to 2 (or your desired scale factor):

<key name="scaling-factor" type="u">
<default>2</default>

and then running:

sudo glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
1 Like

I guess, u meant me doing this when connected to the 4K screen?

Right now I'm sitting at a desk connected to my normal monitor (1920x1080).

If so, I will try this when I log out and connect to my TV. I hope I'm not making this all too confusing, sorry for the inconvenience.

As long as the Configuration file is set up for your 4k screen, it does not matter when you perform the file transfer.

Thanks for the input, but while connected to the 4K screen, ZorinOS overall looks good the settings are good to go, its only the login screen.

As mentioned when using the Screen Lock and logging back in I get a screen with text proportional to 4K, its strange that when use "Log out" the login screen "looks" different and the text is small.

Aravisian, does this mean that we have 2 login screens, so its different when using Log out instead of Screen lock?

Log out will lead to the Display manager for Log in. (GDM3).

Lockscreen is handled by the Screensaver, not by Display Manager.

Yes indeed, I've noticed that weirdness as well! I used to think they were one in the same thing, until I noticed that they were separate from each other. Talk about confusing, especially when your configuring!

Personally, I'd like to see them streamlined into one thing on Linux, they shouldn't be separate like that, just adds extra confusion and extra work into configuring. Thats another area that I'd like to see improvement in with Linux in general.

That's harder said than done. Lockscreen is more akin to "suspend" in that you can lockscreen and walk away. Then unlock and everything is in its place, as you left it, without needing to initialize. (Point for clarity: Both Hibernate and suspend also still require re-initialization).
Logging out of the desktop is more like a Reboot. It must re-initialize the desktop environment.

So having the screensaver handle a simple Lock makes far more sense than having the display manager do it. The DM is reserved for init events.

Aravisian, thank you sir,

It worked I have good readable login screen now while using 4K.

But does this mean that whenever I reinstall ZorinOS I will have to preform this action?

1 Like

YAY it worked! And Dasjdoom is happy now woohoo! Something went positive today. Incase you haven't caught this, support has not been an easy one today. 4K away my fine Doom slayer friend! Bullzeye them impy womprats with your T-Shotgun-16, they aint much bigger then 2-meters.

You see what I did there right? Mixed Doom with Star Wars, I know, only me right? HAHA

Possibly, so save those commands in a .txt file to keep them on speed dial.:wink:

1 Like

Hahaha, yep great it worked. And reading your remarks always put a smile on my face. You're real treat around this community my friend --- greetings StarTreker --- hahaha.

1 Like