Visited Elementary OS - It's good to be back home

Whew! I ran an iso of Elementary OS 6 tonight. It is all subjective of course. But it is good to be back home now in the Land of Zorin. I didn't like that distro hop. I didn't look long and hard but there was little user customization that I could find.

5 Likes

LMAO! :joy:

Its like, you opened the door, looked inside a room full of people fighting, and you were like nope nope nope, and closed the door, you aint going in there, ah ha, not no way no how lol.

I don't blame you, Zorin is much better aint it? Yep, I am not surprised that you came back here. About the only other OS that I consider Zorin's equal, is POP OS 21.04. That is the honest to God truth, which in the end, is just my opinion lol.

5 Likes

elementary OS isn't the distro if you want to customize. It's more like out of the box experience and that's it.

5 Likes

I was never going to stay there. Just looking around out of curiosity.

2 Likes

Ironic... I recently downloaded Elementary and Nitrux OS to put into a VM to get a feel for them. I hear elementary is 'beautiful', but has a very poor software repository. As well as customization flaws. I want to see for myself. Nitrus, heard some good stuff. But of course not as good as Zorin...lol

2 Likes

Alpine Linux anyone?

Got a screenshot? Is desktop shaped like a tree? :palm_tree:

1 Like

yes, the lack of repositories was shocking. And the default web browser was simply labeled “Web”. I have no idea what it was.

3 Likes

Elementary is the anti-FOSS Linux Distro. I bet they love Gnome.

3 Likes

"Everything We Do is Open Source

Our platform itself is entirely open source, and it’s built upon a strong foundation of Free & Open Source software (like GNU/Linux). Plus, we actively collaborate within the ecosystem to improve it for everyone." (source: Elementary initial page)

So, this is kind of... malarkey? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Zorin vs POP? I can dreaming. Only Zorin working on my PC.

Open source, yes. Free?
No.

Elementary OS strictly limits all freedom on their system. An independent developer created a Tweaks tool for Elementary and you should hear the venom spewing in his direction from the Elementary Devs.

2 Likes

Anyone who doesn't support OPEN SOURCE in the Linux community, deserves to get their butt kicked out the door. A developer who doesn't support open source deserves a load of cow poop delivered to their driveway. :angry:

1 Like

My journey into beginning to learn the spirit of GNU/Linux was here https://www.getgnulinux.org/en/

I had no idea a dev of an open source project could be against freedom of use/tweak it.

2 Likes

It's growing.
The seed germinated long ago, long before you and I made it over to Linux.
Red Hat, Sysd and Gnome are all strong examples of the trend...

Money. Money is a big part of it. The other part of it is Control.

Microsoft did not start out the way it did, you know. Back in the olden days, it was quite free, too. Over time, the devs wanted to usurp more and more control.

The tenets of FOSS are almost like a "Constitution" of Linux. And like all constitutions... Those that follow after that did not have to fight for it, build it, protect it... begin to look for ways to undermine it, work around it...

Gnome has tried to leave the Gnu General License... Because it "inhibits their ability to fully pursue their vision."

Just sayin'.

2 Likes

I think that is Gnome Web aka Epiphany?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.