I've been experiencing an issue for the last few days that never used to happen before.
System / Context:
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060 running the latest open drivers (nvidia-driver-595-open)
Setup: Dual monitors
OS: Zorin OS 18.1 (been using it for several months without issues until now)
Affected App: Only happens with Brave Origin. All other applications work fine.
The Issue: I'm not entirely sure, but this seems to happen mainly when I have a fullscreen video playing on one monitor. When I open a second Brave window and drag it to the secondary monitor, it doesn't render properly—it appears cut off or distorted, as shown in the attached screenshot.
Additionally, I frequently drag windows to the top edge of the screen to maximize them. When I maximize the bugged Brave window this way, it displays incorrectly:
Visual Mismatch: The window visually looks shifted a few centimeters down, but the system registers its position correctly. Because of this UI offset, mouse clicks don't hit where the cursor is pointing.
Flickering: Strange flickering occurs around the window borders. (Note: I couldn't capture the offset/flickering issue in a screenshot because screen grabs capture the window in its correctly rendered position).
As mentioned, this is a recent problem and only affects Brave so far. Any ideas on what might be causing this or how to fix it?
No, I'm using X11. I use the computer for gaming among other things, and specifically Counter-Strike performed better on X11. However, I'm going to test Wayland to see if the issue persists there.
What browser are you using now? Back when I was on Windows I used Edge, and I've seen that it's available on Linux too, but I'm not sure if it works as well here as it does on Windows.
In the meantime, I've switched over to Wayland, played a video in fullscreen, and the bug isn't happening so far.
Do you have installed Brave Origin new or did You have switched Brave to Brave Origin? Also: Did You checked the Browser Settings if GTK as Theme is selected?
That result is useful. It puts the blame on the X11 rendering path or Brave’s GPU path. If you test X11 again, launch one clean session with GPU off:
brave-browser --disable-gpu
Use a separate profile if you want to keep the normal one untouched. Check brave://gpu before and after, and note whether the window shift or flicker returns. If GPU off fixes it, turn off hardware acceleration in Brave settings or stay on Wayland. If it still happens, test with WaveTask stopped and a plain panel, then it’s easier to separate Brave from the dock.