VPN not reported as connected in privacy settings

Hello all. I am brand new to Zorin but have been using a computer of some description since 1981 (MS Dos and windows from ver.3.1). I have been struggling to install Nord VPN via the terminal but having spent many bleary eyed hours I have managed to install it. Where to I have no idea but it is definately there and running as I have set it to notify when connected at boot up and it does just that.
However when I look at the privacy settings it is reported as VPN not connected ?. I do not know why.
Any ideas welcome

Is Firewall blocking it?

sudo ufw enable && sudo ufw disable && sudo /usr/bin/systemctl restart nordvpnd

Otherwise, more troubleshooting here:

I use NordVPN and found out that the only way for sure I can determine if it is actually running or not is to open a IP speed test app like .....

It will show you the IP address of the country you are connected to .... if by chance it shows your country of origin click on the "Finding Optimal Server" and it will open and show a list of servers ..... choose one in the country you want and you are good to go .... it won't do it often but just so you don't freak out if it does .... :grinning:

Just remember because NordVpn must be opened in the terminal EVERYTIME you restart .... close .... or your internet drops you will need to run the command again in the terminal ....

Just a tip I found out when typing in your command "nordvpn c (c is for connect) you can choose the country and location you want ....

Example: ..... type nordvpn c usa8262 usa (United States of America) 8262 (is Washington State) I believe Seattle but I won't swear to it as I only use that when I want to connect to the US which is rarely ....

To disconnect type nordvpn d ..... but you don't need to as when you shut down it will shut down automatically .....

There is a whole list of Nord commands for the terminal either on their website or just do a search for "Nordvpn terminal commands for Linux" .... I think the list I have is about 5 pages long .... just don't remember where I got it from ....

Have fun and good luck ..... it isn't hard once you get used to it ....

HI and thanks for your input. I wasn't concerned about the vpn being connected but I followed your suggestion and connected to the German (Frankfurt) server. Something very weird happened when I ran the speedtest as it reported the ip address was DUTCH !!! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. I'm not surprised as that sort of thing sums up my experience with computing over the years :laughing:

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Nord is connecting without issue, I have looked into the connection and it is sound. What is strange is that when I open the network settings (via the network icon in the tool tray)it shows my network is connected (wired connection) but the VPN is not, and to add insult to injury it reports it is not even configured. I don't suppose in the big scheme of things it really matters what it says as long as the vpn is connected and working. I shan't loose any sleep over that one :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.