Well, that's just... weird

I was perusing the Software application and came across (URW)++ Core Font Set [Level 2], which was installed.

Figuring that I've already got plenty of fonts, I uninstalled it from within Software... and that wiped away the majority of CUPS (the printing subsystem) and the Evince document viewer (without any prompting... which is why I usually do installs / uninstalls from Synaptic, not from the Software application)!

The whole dependency setup is FUBAR... how does removing a font justify the removal of nearly all of CUPS?

Yeah, I wanted to get rid of CUPS. Yeah, I couldn't get rid of CUPS because of dependencies, and this actually got me around that restriction... but man, that's just weird.

I can certainly see how Printers could have dependencies on displayed fonts.

I would think that by the time it gets to printing, its in a printer-specific PDL (Page Description Language) such as PostScript, AppleRaster, SVG, PCL, PDF, etc.), so the program creating whatever one is printing out would require fonts, but not the printing subsystem itself... it's just compiling the page layout into a format the printer understands and sending it to the printer.

I don’t understand the incessant need by some Linux users to purge the system of files to save some space when you don’t necessarily know if that file might be needed later on. Lesson learned I hope. That’s like going into your car’s engine bay and removing the A/C compressor not knowing what it is during winter saving 10 pounds of weight on a 3,000 pound car and then when summer comes along you wonder why you don’t have cold air when you turn on the A/C. If you don’t fully know what the file is doing and how it interacts with the rest of the system, leave it alone.

1 Like

It still must be able to properly display your preview on screen and have that match the printers output.

You can easily imagine the fuss made if the preview and printout do not match...

I'm a minimalist. In fact, I drive a car that I bought specifically because it doesn't have AC or a radio (or computer or any other high tech gadgetry)... one is forced to focus on driving rather than doo-dads, and there's less to break. At 140 MPH and with zero front-end toe-in (to reduce tire scrub and thus friction), one has to focus.

I follow roughly the Lotus Principle... "To go faster, simplify, then add lightness"... in other words, remove stuff until it breaks, then add back just enough that it doesn't break.

sudo systemd-analyze critical-chain

graphical.target @14.516s
└─udisks2.service @11.091s +3.424s
  └─basic.target @10.922s
    └─sockets.target @10.922s
      └─zsysd.socket @10.921s
        └─sysinit.target @10.830s
          └─apparmor.service @10.236s +592ms
            └─local-fs.target @10.235s
              └─run-user-1000.mount @16.199s
                └─swap.target @8.883s
                  └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-21ebe95a\x2dcdd6\x2d40d1\x2db5a2\x2dff44a768b47d.swap @8.856s +24ms
                    └─dev-disk-by\x2duuid-21ebe95a\x2dcdd6\x2d40d1\x2db5a2\x2dff44a768b47d.device @8.854s

When first installed, boot time was 48 seconds.

I accept all updates etc from Zorin, and remove nothing, and have Zorin Pro Lite installed. I just shutdown my desktop, then started. Including login, took 34 seconds.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.