What goes best with Linux AMD vs INTEL?

I'm planning to purchase a new Laptop and my choices are

1. Asus Zenbook 14 OLED with Intel i7 12th Gen
  2. Asus Zenbook S13 OLED with AMD RYZEN 7 6800U

Which will be better option to run Linux on it. Mean where I'll get better performance and battery life without facing configuration issues...

Please share you opinions🤔...

If it was me, I would aim toward this one.
It just seems like I face a lot more AMD issues on this forum, than Intel.

3 Likes

I think the problem when installing a Linux OS is often something other than the CPU in the case of laptops.

2 Likes

There are more Intel laptops, and Intel mobile chipsets have been Linux supported longer and seem in my opinion to be more stable and compatible.

Different story if you are adding a dedicated GPU, as amd is baked into the kernel and Nvidia either works great or will be your bane, flip a coin :coin:

And I say this as an AMD fanboi.

2 Likes

As those Laptop are thin&Lite category so i have read some articles AMD IGPU is better as compared to INTEL IGPU and that's why i was preferring AMD but don't how well it goes with Linux. On the other hand intel model support 90hz display amd 60hz.

Also many ppl are saying Linux is best for old hardware :thinking: doesn't goes well with latest Hardwear is that true?

Depends, for mobile devices it really comes down to Intel's more mature driver support. For modern and cutting-edge technology Linux works fine some areas it's a little behind such as 4 and 8K displays. Nvidia drivers are often hit or miss.

Linux tends to be good for older hardware because it's not as resource hungry as other operating systems. And you can swap out to a different desktop environment to suit your needs such as XFCE.

1 Like

Linux is good for old hardware, allowing old hardware to remain in use longer and sparing it as e-waste.
Linux works well on newer hardware as well.
With the Latest Hardware- remember that most hardware is designed and built with Windows in mind, which Microsoft holds about 90% of the OS market.
With the very latest hardware, you are better served on a Rolling Distro if using Linux. It takes time for drivers to port to Linux, though.
Even so, most newer hardware runs fine on Linux.

I agree with @seanhinkley that above 4k display needs better support in Linux.
As demand for it and common usage grow, I am sure that the support will grow, as well.

1 Like

Almost everything is compatible with Intel and any new Intel release. Your big concern, in my view, is chipset and graphics. This is where a person really needs to self-serve and do some research. Also, a person needs to fully understand their needs versus the laptop being considered. Gaming or office work/internet only?

Here is an example, read down the thread and a user is having issues with Zenbook 13 and Zorin 16.1. This is why I say, you really need to self-serve. My view is the chipset is a major issue for any OS to be compliant with, regardless of Intel or AMD. Graphics cards are next, in my view. Add to that mix is the BIOS as it needs to do board functions as well.

Zenbook and Zorin

Are you dual booting or Linux only? You will need to do some research and see what you need to do for a dual boot and what to do if the dual boot fails. What will you need to change in the BIOS.

I am not saying the Zenbook 14 OLED will not work on Zorin or any Linux, and you will see that Zenbook seems to be problematic with some Linux distros. Often issues get patched fairly quickly, but, you should do a simple guggle search on "asus zenbook and linux" and see what results you get.

1 Like

Kernel 6.x.x has alot of AMD fixes, maybe zorin should upgrade the kernel to fix these issues instead of sticking to kernel 5.15.xx.

Mostly Coding Development and Entertainment

NO I'll shift too Linux entirely.

1 Like

Someone on another thread tried that and had many problems. Not being bleeding edge is stabler generally.

3 Likes

I am running Pop! OS 22.04 and it runs very smooth. Might be because zorin still uses 20.04

1 Like

What laptop are you using???

Going cutting edge can be an annoyance but is the issue that it is cutting edge or how the manufacture puts together the device? I know some of the problems can be kernal/etc. versions. With laptops I think it is a combination of all the above and maybe more.

The linux box I built earlier this year had the chipset, Intel cpu, and the ASROCK motherboard released this year. Technology wise maybe not cutting edge but all were new product releases. Zorin worked without a hitch on its install. <>

1 Like

It is a combination.
There are many factors, from manufacturers withholding driver details to the kernel containing regressions.

1 Like

Acer Predator G9-793 (4TB ssd, 32GB ram and GTX 1070 8gb)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.