What is the kernel source code version for 5.15.0-76-generic?

Hi,

I am trying to rebuild an in-tree kernel module, when I do name -a, this is the output:

Linux zorin-OptiPlex-7050 5.15.0-76-generic #83~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 21 20:23:31 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Zorin
Description: Zorin OS 16.3
Release: 16
Codename: focal

Any recommendation of which source code I need to use?

Source:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/source/jammy-updates/linux

Great! Thank you!

1 Like

Hmmm... I am stuck right now with module signing. I followed the guide provided from Ubuntu, and everything went well except that the kernel refuses to load the module I rebuilt due to unrecognized signature.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev/KernelModuleRebuild

How do I solve this issue, or how do I get around it?

I am guessing that there is no way to rebuild only some kernel modules without rebuilding the kernel as well, because I don't own the private key (because it is owned by ZorinOS).

You may need to use the M= variable with your Makefile.

For this, you can workaround the sig with CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=n

I am not aware about this M= in Makefile, I am used to call make within the subdirectory of that particular file I am building, without modifying the Makefile.

Ok, will take a look at this, thanks for the tips. I am assuming that this would work with the existing signed modules, if there was dependencies on it?

Yes, it should... But I make no promises. :stuck_out_tongue:
If it fails, please reply back and we can try to figure something else out.

I am curious though... Why are you trying to rebuild a module? While it may be necessary, it also may be a case of the X - Y problem. There may be a simpler solution to the original issue you are seeking to resolve.

I am building a custom USB device that interface over lowpan and I need to add this device in the existing device list to get enumerated correctly. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you.

1 Like

Well, this is certainly not a novice effort...

1 Like

I ended up building and installing the entire kernel from source with the kernel modules, not great, but that's the only way I can do so that I can recompile the kernel module I needed.

BTW, does kernel 6.0-6.4 work with Zorin 16.3? I don't expect that everything should work as is, but I just need to see it at least boot and run. Thanks.

Generally, yes. Depending on your hardware. Most users should have no issues at all.
Many on here are using the TuxInvader 6.2 and others are using the Liqourix kernel.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.