What software are Zorin users using for screen capture/recording/drawing?

@Aravisian I notice some of my windows have very thick borders (like an inch thick). Would it help with that?

Oh, I am already on it ^

Well, I am noticing a few issues. Your CPU is pegged at 63%, which is far too much CPU usage going on. You have 4GB of RAM, but the system is using 2GB of it. No wonder why anytime you try to run production APPS they shutdown. Your CPU is 1.6GHZ, which is really far too slow for Zorin OS CORE.

Zorin OS 16 LITE might be able to run a little smoother with those SPECS. But even still, I wouldn't expect miracles with that CPU. I had a feeling that your hardware was probably being pegged to the MAX.

I think maybe your best solution is to switch to Zorin OS 16 LITE, and try that out, and see how it works out for you. Because Core is Gnome, which is known to be a resource hog, it really requires more resources then most people tend to realize.

And yes, I do see you are using Compiz, which I personally don't recommend, because I never had any luck with it. And it might be adding additional problems, to those of which you face with hardware, now facing software as well.

EDIT: I am super de duper tired, and getting ready for bed, and I just realized, that I didn't look over your screenfetch over clearly enough, otherwise I would have spotted you are already on XFCE, hence Zorin OS LITE. Sorry about that. Easy mistake to make when one has been up for nearly 24-hours straight. Still though, I stand by what I said, your resources are clearly being pegged.

1 Like

How do I find out if I am running Lite or not?

I would like to get another Laptop but unfortunately I don't know what state the world will be in in even three months time. Should I buy a new laptop now or some guns and ammo to defend my vegetable garden?

1 Like

Kiwiheretic, you are using Zorin OS Lite.

Well my laptop must be of the 2018 era or probably even predates that as it had Kubuntu 18.04 installed on it.

You might try

sudo apt install preload zram-config && sudo reboot

to improve performance. Warning: the above command will restart your computer.

When I watch Stacer I am not maxxing out my Ram at all, it mainly stays about half way, but I can only run a few apps before my CPU is maxxed out and one that is very likely to max it out is Thunderbird for email.

Regarding the state of the world, it hasn't really been getting any better, at least not for our country. Covid runs rampid, logistics adn supply shortage a mess. I remember in the first year, people were making silly assumptions that 2021 was going to be better, but then it wasn't, it was worse.

And now here we are in 2022, things are still a mess. Nvidia for example is trying to sweep their incompetence under a rug, instead of putting out the GPU's people want, they invent new GPU's, which really just costs the company more, cause they need new silicon chips, and tooling, its rediculous.

I wish Nvidia would stop wasting so much money inventing new cards with TI in the name, and instead provide what they promissed all along, 3000-series cards. Its the whole reason I got a notebook. You can't freaking get GPU's these days to build your own computer, unless you pay scalpers prices.

So when you mention, what state the world in? Well, were in a real state of an utter mess I gotta be honest. And were also facing the wrath of mother earth too, global warming is having a go with us. So, as far as I am concerned, when it comes to me? I made a decision that I am going to live out however many years I got left, with a nice computer.

So, you gotta make whatever choice is best for you. All I know is, I've lived for quite awhile with very little, not knowing how much time I got left on this earth, thats why I say, I am going to enjoy what I have left. So, I got a nice computer to do that.

Some people like to have social lives, go to parties. Ya lol. #1, not for introverts. #2, you'd be crazy to go to parties during Covid. Yes yes I know, people out there do anyways, but they get sick afterwords. So ya, better to be safe, stay home, stay away from people, play games on a computer instead lol.

Here is what I am seeing

This is my point, thats not normal! Normal computers don't pegg out to MAX CPU usage, and then crash APPS, when only a couple APPS open. Your computer is probably some kind of tablet, or low spec netbook or something.

Once you've experienced what a real computer is, and I am not even talking about a super high SPEC model either. Just your average everyday competent computer, can run more then a couple APPS without maxing out the CPU, and hitting the RAM hard.

I do have an 8GB desktop computer that is waiting for a decent video card as I suspect the one it is clapped out. It may even be an onboard video card. I think that is probably the best candidate to take into my bomb shelter at the moment.

I know I should really make a few decisions before hyper inflation hits. Just not sure what yet.

My computer is an HP 250 G4 laptop with 4Gb of Ram. I can remember the days when you didn't need a quad core computer unless you were doing high end graphics stuff.

Its funny that you mentioned that, I upgraded from a quad core computer, and it couldn't even edit and render 4K footage competently without giving me issues. Timeline would move real slow, glitchy, a lot of times caused Kdenlive to crash outright.

I had a solid good 16GB of RAM in it though. It was just that my CPU couldn't handle it, and the GPU in it was a lowly Nvidia 640m, and it got pretty outdated fast. I couldn't play any of the new games, not even on LOW graphics settings. Some games refused to launch at all lol.

You are right, there was a time, when a 1GHZ CPU with 512MB RAM, and a 64MB GPU in the year 2000 was relevant. But if you recall, games were simpler back then, office software was much less heavy, and the internet was a different kind of internet then too.

But times change, things take more resources now, so it means we need the hardware to get it done. I hope you are able to repair your other computer with a new GPU if you can get one. Don't overpay for one OK? Like I said, avoid scalpers. And if you buy used, be very sure, you are buying from a 100% positive feedback and trusted seller.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.