What would you like to see in ZorinOS 17

If the primary purpose of Zorin is to appeal to windows users & not existing linux users, then the main thing holding back Zorin is the use of the gnome GUI.

Zorin makes gnome look like windows but doesn't have the features and settings you'd expect from the windows interface, there is only one linux GUI that comes close which is KDE.

KDE has the settings, features and integration windows users come to expect, no other linux GUI comes close and I've tried all of them.

Valve are also funding KDE's main developers, they understand windows users are not going to migrate to an environment were they feel out of their depth or completely alien to the way windows works.

Which is why the Steam Deck features KDE as its desktop and not gnome. KDE is only going to get more polish and feature parity with windows thanks to Valves very deep pockets and an actual mass market product using it.

Sure there is Kubuntu but Zorin can do a better job and Linux Mint Cinnamon is too rough around the edges, it ships with UI flaws no commercial product ever would.

2 Likes
1 Like

This observation is exceptionally well said. Concise and to the point.

This statement is highly misleading. FOSS apps included in the repository are current and maintained. They are not outdated.

3 Likes

I can agreed with @Elegant_Emperor about Gnome i tested on Rosa 12.2 Mandriva and it is very simple diffrent from Zorin. Where is a minimal settings but primary what gived you most important things about changing Desktop.
Yes Gnome eating some RAM but webbrowser when you using eating more RAM from Gnome desktop. Gnome is better after when he comes. Besides what i saw all linux distribution going that way. I remember @Aravisian talking about that somewhere on this forum.

Here is good discusion about gnome https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/wwyu4e/did_all_distros_ignore_the_stop_theming_my_app/ @Aravisian take a look. Propably they are the same what @Aravisian wrote before gnome vs xfce.

I deliberately ignore and avoid the Gnomie Trolls on Reddit.
There is no reasoning with them. There is no helping them see the hypocrisy.
Any attempt at discussion is always derailed by a Gnomie into hate filled rhetoric.

Their philosophy is that everyone must join lock-step and uniform with them.
Anyone who does not accept their argument that any opinion against Libadwaita is nothing more than drama and whining is then met with derision, belittling and insults.

It's not worth anyones time.

2 Likes

They wrote about long time ago was many themes and distributions and now everything comes to gnome. They sayed good words about Zorin. Taking also behind gnome are companies.

This is true...

The total RAM consumption of all processes related to Gnome often exceeds that of Firefox.

With my observation new Zorin will be with Gnome DE.
download-fetching libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

15165548/15165548

download-fetching libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18

6168208/6168208

download-fetching gir1.2-webkit2-4.0

80100/80100

download-fetching gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

28796/28796

Running post-installation trigger dpkg-exec

Preparing installation of libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

Unpacking libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

Installing libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

Preparing installation of libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18

Unpacking libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18

Installing libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18

Preparing installation of gir1.2-webkit2-4.0

Unpacking gir1.2-webkit2-4.0

Installing gir1.2-webkit2-4.0

Preparing installation of gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

Unpacking gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

Installing gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

Running post-installation trigger dpkg-exec

Preparing configuration of libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18

Configuring libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18

Installed libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18

Preparing configuration of gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

Configuring gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

Installed gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0

Preparing configuration of libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

Configuring libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

Installed libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37

Preparing configuration of gir1.2-webkit2-4.0

Configuring gir1.2-webkit2-4.0

Installed gir1.2-webkit2-4.0
Here some version 4.0 on Zorin 16 start soon move forward to version Pro with Gnome.

This is nice when installing linux before you can choose:

1 Like

I would like to see 17 release on the 6.0 kernel, even better still if Zorin used the ZEN kernel. Zorin should also do better to keep up with releases of included software. Wayland should be made the default graphics session.

Zen Kernel propably is using in ROSA distribution. O could be wrong.

I would honestly like the video to work a little better for the m5000 nvidia video. It works okay but it is right on the edge of being sluggish. When i say video the examples I will give are elvenar the game online (and maybe that has to do with html5) where moving things on the screen feels a little like whatever I am doing is taking just that extra .5 second to go. If that makes sense and when watching videos online it feels the same way its not fluid.

The ability to right click on a drive that the system thinks is removable and set it to mount on boot using the UUID and a naming convention that works like "data drive" would certainly make the location path shorter. I'd rather not mess with the fstab file and some some editor I always mess up using just to black screen my machine and not know how to fix it in recovery. I mean I can muster through but new users might not know how.

really awesome V neck shirts for men that have awesome graphics on them regarding Zorin with a huge pulsing logo on the back that looks like its cracking out of the back of the shirt or hoodie and on shirt the word ZORIN on the front where you would have a name tag if you were wearing a shirt with a pocket, so just about that.. maybe even the small logo next to it. But the shirts have to be V neck and come in at least 3x sizes for muscular men like myself.

as mentioned above it would be nice to use the fingerprint reader on my lenovo P70 which is a beautiful machine and most importantly not afraid to use it in the event the fingerprint does not work and having a fallback to using your password.

Oh and donuts. There has to be donuts :wink:

If someone can explain me? Zorin brothers developers answers my questions about updated Zorin lite to pro will be this year 2022.
But somewhere here if i remember brothers wrote it will be next summer 2017. I am correct or i am wrong?

Your memory is correct.
ZorinGroup initially began work on the Direct Upgrade option hoping to have it ready for Zorin 15 to Zorin 16.
However, due to delays threatening a timely release of Zorin OS 16, the ZorinGroup decided to focus their priorities on getting Zorin OS 16, with its many additions and features, released on time.

After release of Zorin OS 16, the ZorinGroup renewed the Direct Upgrade project for Zorin OS and have been steadily getting it ready for release as a high priority.

3 Likes

I would love to see a power options setting.

2 Likes

Something diffrent like usually. Maybe two version Zorin for people who starting with Linux and for people who understand Linux more advance level. New desktop example kde. With new version windows people also must learning new operating system how it works. Besides we have internet where we can finding some information.

What Would I like to see in Zorin v17
1.) Direct Distro Upgrade
2.) ZorinOS Laptop Package - TLP, Gui Tweaks (such as battery percentage shown), Power settings set to savings. And things along this line.
3.)A Privacy Center or section in Settings, with temp file wipe, apt-auto remove, cache / profile clean - up and shortcuts to privacy-related settings UFW ect.
4.)Zorin Grid :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

There is a limited one in Core/Pro, I should have specified one is needed for Lite. And the core version to be expanded upon.