What's your favorite or most used application(s)?

Some of my basic apps:
Firefox
Telegram
Document viewer
Terminal
Stacer

4 Likes

Not a lot. But these are what I mostly use.

• Firefox
  • VS Code
  • Telegram
  • Conky Manager
  • Terminal
  • Synaptic
5 Likes

The apps that I use the most (in order of usage time) are:

1. Vivaldi
  2. Ferdi
  3. Microsoft Teams (Preview)
  4. Aseprite
  5. Bluej
  6. Telegram
  7. WPS Office
  8. TeamViewer
  9. Google Chrome
  10. VLC Media Player

Apart from these, I also use Nautilus and Thunar, Terminal, Gnome Tweaks, but I did not include them because every one uses them and they are not my "favourite" as the title of the topic says.

5 Likes

Brave Browser
Mozilla Thunderbird
Signal App
Notes (Gnome)
Internet Radio App
Libre Calc
VLC Player

4 Likes

Firefox
Mailspring
Files
Terminal
Pithos
Text editor
Freetube
Catfish
Free Office
Synaptic

2 Likes

I have been using Audacious for my music playlists pretty much exclusively for a long time.
However, I notice that as of recent, support for Audacious has been getting slower and slower. I still love the app, but figured it was time to look for something with more support.
My needs in a Music Player are very simple and plain. I do not like invasive behaviors - Such as offering me endless suggestions on streaming, podcasts, etc. This discounted many, like Rhymthbox, from consideration.
I narrowed it down to Exaile and Ex Falso - both of which are nearly even keel for me. Both manage multiple playlists, are easy to use, simple in design and less invasive.
In the end, I kept both, but put Exaile on the panel launcher and use it most of the time. Exaile surprised me, as I had assumed, given its age, that this was an abandoned or slow project. Not at all, it is very up to speed.

I am also giving yet another try to Vivaldi Browser... It now comes with a tour. I have High Hopes that the vivaldi.bin memory hogging that actually damaged Zorin OS on three separate machines is a thing of the past...
Vivaldi will have great difficulty earning any trust back from me... But part of its appeal is greater ease in de-googling the chrome with more thoroughness and the best customization of any browser.

2 Likes

As you already know I've been using Vivaldi on Zorin since the very beginning and have zero problems with it except one time when my passwords disappeared from my saved location and I had to install them again .... the download feature works flawless and dumps everything into my downloads folder as it should ....

I chose the middle of the three installs as the first one is minimum and the last way to many bells and whistles for me .... used it on Windows 10 for several years after Opera was sold .... some of Opera developers started up Vivaldi ....

Going to take a look at Exaile and Ex Falso and see what's up .... I usually play Smooth Jazz or Blues music but not so often on my laptop .... maybe I should try it .... they claim "Music Soothes the Savage Beast" .... so we'll see ..... :grin:

By the way where did yiu get those music apps ???? I know you don't like the software store .... Synaptic ????

I pretty much install everything from terminal or source... I only use Synaptic very rarely - to remove something extensive.

Exaile

https://www.explorelinux.com/how-to-install-exaile-music-player-in-ubuntu/

Ex Falso

sudo apt install exfalso

2 Likes

Thank you sir .... Ex Falso installed .... now to try it out ....

1 Like

So far... Vivaldi is makin' me nervous... It's already frozen twice.
And failed to load another couple of times, at least. It really hogs the RAM.

I had the same problems with Vivaldi. That is why I went back to Brave. Did you try customizing Brave to set it up like you wanted it? Here is a screen shot of Brave like I have it set up. In the lower right you can see the customizing option to do away with all the Brave Rewards and other ads and stuff.

I am having more freezes with Vivaldi. You know how you paste a line into the address bar and then hit enter and it searches?
It's not.
It just sit there and does nothing. I have to kill the browser, then relaunch, in order to get that to work. Frustrating if you have some tabs open that you wish to maintain.
I have never had so many consistent problems with a browser as I always do with Vivaldi. I love its customization and features... But it's more trouble trying to just use the browser than it is worth...
I am going to try a modified form of Opera next, I think.
I have tried Brave Browser and I did get it mostly set up but there were particular things it does to set its own distinct "Brave Browser" tone that I really dislike and couldn't get rid of.
And Braves advertising - yes... that got under my skin...

1 Like
  1. Ms edge (beta)
  2. Thunar
  3. Telegram
  4. Celluloid
  5. Bitwarden
  6. Mousepad
  7. Nuclear
  8. Minetest

Opera lasted three minutes before I wiped it off my machine with a nuclear warhead. Vivaldi has swiftly followed suit.

No one can ever claim I have not given Vivaldi a fair chance. They deserve no more chances.

Most Used - in no specific order
Thunderbird
Evolution
KMyMoney
Brave / Firefox
VLC / Brasero / Clementine / Asunder
Handbrake

Interesting I have never had that problem ...... what I do is put the DDG link ...... https://duckduckgo.com ..... on my Speed Dial .... open speed dial and click on it paste the link in it the DDG search bar and hit enter ...... I don't believe I have ever just put an address in the Vivaldi bar at the top of the page .....

You did put DDG or what ever your search engine is in both Default Search Engine and the Private Window Search Engine .... I'm sure you did ....

Sorry it didn't work for you ..... hope you find a Browser you can use ....

I used Startpage, instead. It would not affect the browsers behavior.

I use Start Page .... Home Page and Startup with .... Start Page

1 Like

Hummmmm ..... downloaded and it appears in my Main Menu apps under Sound & Video but doesn't appear in my System Settings/ Preferred Apps/Music either in the drop down list or in Other Applications ..... but I do have it set in my Task Bar .... but I would like it to open automatically .....

Right Click any music file, click Properties, then Open with - click on Ex Falso, then click the Set as Default button for that mimetype.

1 Like