Which Office Application do you use?

I use Libre Office. I use it for Years and I'm happy with that. I began to use it because Microsoft Office 2007 got no longer Support and I didn't liked the newer Versions.

MS Office via dual boot. I tried Libre but had a lot of problems with it and I nearly lost major progress on my documents. Since then I didnt want to try out other applications since I really need to get my documents done and cant risk any compatibility issues. Happy to try out WPS when Im mostly done as it receives so much praise here.

I really wish Libre was good but sadly its clunky, has an old interface and has so many compability-issues that its just not worth using (at least for me) for documents over 10 pages. And I regularly work with 250 page documents.

I've heard that Only Office should work good with Microsoft Office Documents. Maybe You could try that.

1 Like

Thanks! Will try it out at some point.

1 Like

4 Likes

Tried it out and the zoom is on like 2000%. o.O
Really weird behavior, not sure what happened.

1 Like

Too bad that it didn't work good for You.

Textmaker from Softmaker Office has a good MS Office comparibility. I really like that they have ChatGPT text tools and Deepl translation integrated. And it communicates with Zotero flawlessly. However, it has no equation editor included, which is a big "No" for me, unfortunately.
WPS office works also fine with MS Office files, and has equation editor. But it has no Zotero extension compatibility.

Got it fixed after a copule of tries (couldnt really read any settings menue because of the zoom) by reducing the zoom a lot. Its a really good software as far as I can see, way better than libre (funnely enough libre had quite a few bugs when I tried editing a document). Will check it out further, thanks for the suggestion! Not really sure why its not the default office software :grin:

1 Like

OnlyOffice. Never had any problems - I use it on Windows 10 too.

2 Likes

It doesn't have an Equation editor because Linux uses different coding. An old but fully functional MathType is present in the Windows version of TextMaker.

Antix even has a link to FreeOffice, the free version of SoftMaker Office in its extended App installer. The big improvements in 2024 Pro are image compression, QR Template and with latest service pack, BarCode template. Working in lockdown (March 2020) until end August 2021 when I retired SoftMaker Office, combined with using Okular made my workflow super smooth. My experience began with SoftMaker Office Pro 2018 which I purchased at the end of November 2019, a 5 machine licence for just under £24! So you could have it on a Windows machine, a Mac, and three Linux desktops. The workflow was so much quicker than with MS Office. I upgraded to 2021 Pro when it came out, and 2024 towards end of last year. I love the fact that you can actually delete a table whereas in Word all you can do is Cut which means it is floating in the Clipboard space! Also when extracting text from a table in a pdf in Okular, and having made the chosen font on the document being worked on, pasting into TextMaker would change to a Basic Roman font. Solution? All I had to do was highlight the entire table contents, then press Ctrl+ Space and Basic Roman instantly turned into the default document font. I also like how the insert shape section is so much more logical than MS Offerings.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.