Which zorin os varient is suitable for a 4 gb ran intel core i3 5th gen cpu?

I am really confused about installing the correct Zorin os variant. I have a Dell laptop with 4 Gb ram intel core i3 5th gen CPU.
My workflow with the laptop is pretty heavy as I have to use VS Code, google chrome, and the file manager simultaneously. According to my needs which Zorin os variant would be best for me?

I recommend Zorin 15.3 LITE. Until Zorin OS 16 LITE has been released, your best bet is to go with previous version LITE.

2 Likes

From my experience Zorin 16 Core or Pro would run OK on that spec machine, unless you are planning to do anything really intensive.
I ran Z15.3 Core OK on an Intel dual-core with 2.5Gb RAM, since upgraded to 4Gb RAM, but not games or video editing etc etc.
I suggest you give it a try.
Also, do you have any scope to increase your RAM?

I second StarTreker, though I bet Zorin 16 Core could work reasonably well on your machine. Not as fast as it could on higher specs, but still reasonably well.

2 Likes

Hello you can use ZorinOs 16 core but there is a catch you must use it on ssd I have 240GB ssd and I am running zorin os 16 core I also have 4gb ram and i5 3rd gen cpu and literally app opening time is 0.2 or max to max 1 seconds I have no issues I do multitasking like 5-6 tabs of brave browser, discord, vscode, libre writer much more I have never seen a lag. and now zorin os 16 is my daily driver I completely removed windows 10.

2 Likes

Why?
I would say preferably use it on a SSD surely. I have not read that Z16 will NOT run on a HDD.

SSD makes the whole thing different. Sadly, Currently, I'm using HDD. Will it run well?

u can use it on hdd but u will only get speed in ssd.

Then I am not sure someone else will get to you.

I think I should give a try to Zorin OS core. Let's see how it works?

1 Like

It should run well on a HDD, just faster on a SSD.
It will even run off a USB for that matter. It is all relative.

That is the only way you will find out how it runs on your own machine and whether the performance meets your own personal expectations. Other users may have widely different needs and expectations from a Linux OS.

3 Likes

I am afraid of one thing that if I started using Zorin OS Core and after 3-4 months of usage it starts lagging. Then, I have to switch to a different version. And I don't want to take the headache of backing up all the files and stuff on cloud storage.

I have never seen Zorin OS begin lagging after a few months.
However, my own advice would be to save yourself the headache and opt for Zorin OS Lite.
If you are able to wait - Zorin OS 16 Lite will be released soon. Maybe three weeks or so. (Guess, not official)
Otherwise, Zorin OS 15.3 Lite will continue to be supported until April of 2023.

In using Zorin OS lite, you can enjoy better performance and speed from the get go and concentrate on other things you want to focus on.
Yes, I am sure Zorin Core would run reasonably Well. But in the very act of asking the question, it sounds like you want the Best performance.

1 Like

Unlike some Linux OS I read about users experience about progressive lagging on here, I have not experienced any lagging on ZorinOS going from Z12, Z15.

2 Likes

Thank You all for sharing your ideas and opinions. I think I should go with Zorin OS core and use it for a couple of months. And in these couple of months, I'll make sure that I'm backup-ing all my important data.

3 Likes

Zorin 16 will work, but it will not be as fast as a lite edition. I use Pop! OS 21.04 on a machine that is 10 years and it runs good (i7-3632QM and 8GB ram). When i compare it to my gaming notebook i notice how fast my machine is after using the older one haha

1 Like

My Sony Vaio laptop which is no longer supported by Sony has intel core i5 3rd gen CPU, with 4gb RAM and has no SSD and works great with Zorin OS core (faster than Windows 8, with which my pc had come), so I guess @acode won't have any problem using the core version of Zorin.

1 Like

Well, at the end of the day, when it comes to multi-tasking operations, it will depend on how many cores he has. But as long as he doesn't push his machine too hard then yes. But I still stick by my recommendation, that if he wants the best performance he can get out of his machine, he's going to get that with LITE.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.