Why are the details showing as "unknown"?

Hummmmm ..... now I have an orange and white icon theme .....

Does anyone know why under each folder I get the " unknown " under the description ..... this started a while back ...... it doesn't matter whether it is Files ..... Downloads .... Photos or other category ....

1 Like

Could it be from your backups it appears like that afterwards?

Can you open Nemo, hit Edit > Preferences > Display and take a screenshot?

I have Nautilus and I found this feature clicking options button on title bar (on the left of Minimize button) > Preferences > options under Icon Captions, is it the same for you?

Here you go ......

Thanks but I use Nemo .....

Well, I see what I explained anyway, under Icon Captions. I thought that changing them you'll have resolved, some kinds of issues can be resolved by changing some settings and then restore the previous ones. If you tried changing those options under Icon Captions and nothing changes then I don't know what to say. But I see that you set Date Created and that's what it should appear under files names instead of unknown, looks like the theme can't access this property and display it. Try disabling Use a monospace font and change the format, change some. To remove unknown you should simply set None instead of Date Created. As last solution you may want to ask info to the theme owner.

1 Like

The theme owner and developer is Aravisian ..... I'm using moebius ..... with Storm's Mystique icon set ....

I'll check out your suggestions especially the Date Created ....

1 Like

Themes do not access File Manager display properties. They only set the appearance.

You could try changing "date created" to "none" and see if that gets rid of it. After-all, I do not see a date created listed under the icon name.

2 Likes

Understood, this was something I was thinking about, thanks for confirming it :+1:.

What I suggested, too :wink::grin:.

1 Like

That's what I just did as you were typing your reply .....I chose none for the Date Created and that cleared up the problem .... while under Pictures the folders are not showing the Unknown any more but the Screenshots are showing the date which is fine as it is set by my XnView MP Graphics app ....

All my folders are now back to normal with just the title showing .... no idea how they were changed .....

Thank you Luca_Pavan and Aravisian .....

1 Like

Thanks that did the trick looks like we all came up with that .... had I noticed that when I posted my photo of the ......

I should have seen that and not had to ask further .... oh well .... live and learn .....

Thanks again guys ....

1 Like

Sorry for not suggesting to set None instead of Date Created since the beginning, I was thinking that you were trying to actually show a property of the files under their name, I didn't realize you just wanted to remove unknown :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.