Why there is no Minimal Install option for ZorinOS?

Why there is no option for ZorinOS Minimal?

I absolutely love ZorinOS 16 Lite. I even used it quite a lot before I decided to leave it, and the reason for me to leave it was I found it a lot bloated. Although I know, its meant for beginners, but don't you think there should be an option while installing for Minimal Install, which contains just a File Manager, Terminal, Browser, Basic Desktop Environment, etc. with all the goodness, looks, as well as theming of Zorin.
If ZorinOS developers are reading it, then it's just a suggestion from my side, hoping that you could implement something like this.
Thanks in advance. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

+1....I want this option too.
The option is available for only Pro users for some reason.

3 Likes

Isn't that what the Lite version is already?

The only difference between Lite and Core is that they have different Desktop Environments and Lite has some alternative applications. Rest everything is the same, even the installation procedure.

2 Likes

Rightly said by @Elegant_Emperor,
the difference between Core and Lite is that they have some applications in both, while rest are desktop specific. For instance, GNOME Software, Zorin Appearance, Sudoku, etc. are in both whereas desktop specific applications are different.
Such as the Core[with GNOME Desktop Environment] contains Nautilus as a File Manager, Gnome Terminal as Terminal Application, etc. whereas on the other hand Lite[with XFCE Desktop Environment] contains Thunar as File Manager, Xfce Terminal Emulator as Terminal Application etc.

What we are looking for is a Minimal Option during installation, or a Minimal ISO, which will allow us a system with just the base packages such as a Desktop Environment, some of necessary Desktop Environment's Applications such as Settings, File Manager, Terminal, etc; a Web Browser[or not doesn't really matter, everyone has their own taste for Web Browsers so why Bundle Firefox] and that's it, along with all the goodness and theming and ease of use of ZorinOS.

1 Like

Not sure if this will help or not but can't you just go into the Software Store and deleted all the things you don't want .... I did that after I installed 16 Pro as I wasn't sure what items would be deleted if I chose the Minimum Installation on install .... there is a ton of stuff I didn't need or want like Firefox and others .... also keeps the software update from taking so long to download all the updates ....

I'm sure if you can get Lite to download and open you can customize it by deleting what you don't want ....

Just a thought

2 Likes

We get this option of minimal installation in every distribution, except Zorin OS. After installing the OS it is really time consuming to remove the applications one by one. Moreover, the current state of software store is terrible so I would not use it even if you pay me.
When I buy a Windows computer it is always bloated with useless Windows apps and manufacture's apps. Linux is unique on that part. In Linux, I can install only the things that I want because almost every distribution gives the option of minimal installation.
Not everyone would need it but most ditro hoppers or people who constantly need to reinstall the OS because they keep breaking things would like to have the option.

3 Likes

You see we can always remove these files, but it's my beleif[I can be Wrong] that within the system, atleast some of the application Files don't delete, even after uninstalling them.

2 Likes

I agree I know been there and done that .... but until they add that feature all we can do is remove those items one at a time ..... use RescueZilla and make an image of our disk and if we have a problem install from the saved image .... ain't pretty but doable ....

Try uninstalling them using Synaptic Package Manager ..... or perhaps the terminal ....

I understand where you guys are coming from and yes it is a PITA but until the Zorin's fix it that is about all we can do .... I would much rather do that then to choose another OS because there is to much bloatware .... if you really like Zorin there is a way around it ....

Maybe someone else has other ideas ?????

2 Likes

@AZorin and @zorink,
Are there any plans for addition of this Minimal option during Installation or ZorinOS Minimal ISO?
If Yes, then when and if No, then why?

2 Likes

Each distro can't be all things to everyone. There are already minimalist distro's out there and for those who want that, they are there. Zorin clearly has taken the path of being a distro that installs the things most people want. In particular of getting people over from Windows, this is their target market.

IMO, I think people would rather see them spend their time creating versions with either Cinnamon and KDE over something where you can just uninstall anything you don't want.

3 Likes

When I decide I want to remove multiple applications, I run in terminal:

sudo apt remove --purge (Package-name1) (Package-name2) (Package-name3) (Package-name4) (Package-name5) (Package-name6)

3 Likes

Will the purge tag also to remove Application Files as if they were never installed?

I think DeanG is right in that Zorin is targeting new Linux users, who may prefer having tools out of the box without having to search, choose and install them.

Especially if you look at the Pro version, it is just packed with applications and tries to offer as much functionality out of the box as possible. And still while also offering the tools to install even more software from pretty much every available source. The intention clearly wasn’t to provide a minimalist experience.

I have also noticed that if you select the “Minimal” option in a Pro installation, you basically just get applications that come with Core (but with Pro features such as layouts).

I you’re looking for a more barebones installation, other distributions may offer you a better experience.

2 Likes

Purge will clean more files. It clears out the installation files used to install. It will remove binary files and application files. However, this does not mean all folders or files get removed.
When a person installs software, it makes a lot of sense to leave files in place, such as configuration files. This way, if they are performing a reinstallation, they do not lose saved settings and configurations.

It is a bit of a mania on my part that I go in and remove this. I do not always; only when I think of it to do it.
They take up so very little space, it is easy to not notice that these files remain. You would have to go in looking for them. Often in ~/.config or ~/.local/share/applications
Sometimes you can find leftover files in /usr/share
Again, it is our own OCD that we seek to remove them. They harm nothing and can even be helpful to have should we install that software again - which I have personally discovered on numerous occasions.
Saving a few kilobytes out of my available three terabytes is not a priority and really... I have been working personally on learning how to Get Over It.

3 Likes

I liked here that options user can ReginÄ™ what he want. Minimal installation.

2 Likes

The 'Base Packages' option is what we should get...it is even better than the 'Minimal Installation' option. I really like what they (Endeavour OS) did with the OS Installer. Wish Zorin installation would be that way.

4 Likes

Just saying but, its not in Linux Mint. Zorin might be following Mint's approach

2 Likes

One option in Endeavour OS was LSF. Very usefull to compile a kernel to your hardware. I wondering if there also option put your hardware drivers when prepare installation.

for Pro users the "Minimal" option is basically just installing the Core Programs + Layouts