Wi-Fi not showing up at all

I noticed after installing them, I also tried to install Qualcomm drivers but I got errors as well.

2 Likes

Tried it again just in case, everything goes fine until make defconfig-wifi
And this error shows up:

Generating local configuration database from kernel ...Kernel version parse failed!
Makefile:40: recipe for target 'defconfig-wifi' failed
make: *** [defconfig-wifi] Error 1

Hmmm...
What about this guide?

I am sorry - this is one of those troubling cases of the manufacturing not bothering to provide drivers for what they consider Too Small a Market...

2 Likes

I get the same error... I think the only solution I have now is get one of those wireless USB things, thanks for the help though!

1 Like

Admittedly, that is what a lot of Linux users end up doing.
@FrenchPress usually has good suggestions on Wifi dongles.

2 Likes

All are tried and tested personally by me.

2 Likes

Wow I see! Thanks for the info, I'll be looking online to get one of those.

3 Likes

I've personally stayed well clear of RaLink dongles. I bought one for youngest PC that dual booted. The box said it was compatible with Linux but when you went online to view the manual it stated that it was compatible with kernel 2.16 - that's the equivalent of a hardware manufacturer of Windows hardware stating it will work with Windows XP! I'm surprised Atheros didn't work straight off as I still have a netgear W111 v.3 dongle that uses the Atheros chipset and works instantly. See if you can find one on eBay. Alternatively:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux

2 Likes

Yes, I have Atheros AR9462.
Never had any problems.
It is strange. I wonder if the wifi card is actually having hardware failure.

4 Likes

Yes, its having a failure to communicate. And I hate it when my hardware gets lost in the popcorn kernel's and fails to communicate.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-wireless-network-Adapter-SoftAP/dp/B008IFXQFU/?encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=ZK21C&pf_rd_p=8b894231-4b84-44da-9446-c27cf0e8abc2&pf_rd_r=H6NTBR7AYTD8AT2A92H4&pd_rd_r=16cf13a5-8318-4e88-9751-b7acb02951cb&pd_rd_wg=z2Kj2&ref=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

That is a link to a USB dongle that will work for Linux. And since its not one of the super speed ones, it won't require a 3rd party driver to work on Linux, it should literally be plug and play.

1 Like

Interesting I have a usb dongle that I just ordered last week got it last night .... bought it after my last episode with Zorin not connecting ... thankfully the WiFi card was not the problem but as I already had a Linksys dongle for Win WUSB6300 and it doesn't work for Linux ... I bought one that would ....

Haven't tested it yet ... it has no name on it but nicely packaged and all in English that's a plus .... dual band

What ever you do be sure it can connect to Linux ... just like mice a lot of manufactures say there product is compatible with Linux but believe me they are not .... look at FrenchPress's collection her's are tried and tested ....

1 Like

Interesting as all the ones I have seen including the one I just bought say that .... :sob: :sob: :sob: .... very disappointing .... thanks for the info

I do not think that can be a problem.
Windows XP compatible hardware is very often compatible with the later Windows versions unless it requires a special driver for it. Windows are improving in that regard since Windows 10 - more drivers are already included within the OS.

As for Linux, my understanding is that anything compatible with kernel 2.16 should be also compatible with the later kernels.

A couple of Ralink USB dongles I have are all Linux compatible.

I think you do not have to worry about this reference to the older kernel. It means that it is compatible with kernel 2.16 and up. I've never seen Linux kernel dropped a support for the old WiFi chipsets. One of the reasons why Linux can run on the machines older than 10 years or more.

2 Likes

Just was able to get my phone hooked back up to KDE Connect .... file went missing .... LOL ... anyway here is a picture of the dongle I was talking about .... 600 Mbps and 5 GHz & 2.4 GHz

When you see
Win
in the product name, you are doomed :skull:

Also I've never seen any 600 bps Wifi which works OOB in Linux.
Those are too new and not included in kernel.

If you want to compile a driver for this dongle, you can still do it:

2 Likes

I guess that is why they sent this along .... been years since I saw a baby disk .... they used to be real poplar ....

Thanks for that driver info ... I'll download it and keep it safe ....

1 Like

It's got a same chipset as that yellow coloured dongle in my photo (second one from the top). It is supposed to do 1200bps. I think we have to hang on to our dongles for some years till they make it into the kernel.

2 Likes

I agree as I darn near had heart failure when I thought about trying to find a dongle to work for Linux and the literally hundreds i searched through on the web .... adding the word Linux seemed to be the kiss of death .... and it is such a shame as Linux or rather Zorin seems to be the best choice for me .... some of these brain dead companies need to wake up and smell the roses ...

I was reading some info the other day that said the reason Wayland failure wa largely due to NVIDIA's refusal to switch or even try it .... not sure if it is true or not but that is what the article said .... me .... I know diddly about Wayland but it does sound interesting ... LOL

Me I'm prepared as I already have Gnome with Wayland as a choice in my desktop theme ... LOL

2 Likes

Actually if you stick to the older 150bps chipsets, you are almost always OK. It is only when you wanted anything faster than 300bps, the problem arises. My favourite one is RT5572. It is 300bps capable and Linux compatible.

2 Likes

Yea and me with only a 14 Mbps IP .... LOL and I'm looking at 600 + ... but don't laugh as just 2 years ago I was at 2 Mbps then 5 and finally 14 with my fiber connection ... OH how the world progresses :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes